• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get stable @ 4.7ghz, FX-8320e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Synn21588

Registered
Alright all, I recently acquired a new Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 (as well as a corsair air 540 which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!!!) and I'm still on my journey to overclock my CPU to 4.8ghz. I've managed to get stable at 4.6ghz using straight multi and FSB overclocking with a vcore of around 1.47. I've got plenty of thermal headroom to go higher, ~20c or so, but I cannot seem to get stable at 4.7ghz despite my best efforts. Going from 4.6 to 4.7 stable seems to require 1.6v vcore, something i'm just not willing to fiddle with. I've tried everything I know to get stable at 4.7 but just can't seem to accomplish it, so I turn to you.

Things I've done: both multi and FSB OC, manual set HT and and CPU/NB freq, all spread spectrums disabled, all the normal stuff disabled, increased the capacities to 130%, LLC set at ultra high, increased NB voltages, CPUNB voltages, VDDA voltages, DRAM voltages, NB HT voltages, 120mm fan on the backside of the socket, 80mm fan on the VRMs, H105 AIO in Push/Pull, 3 120mm intakes, 140mm exhaust, added an additional 80mm fan as an intake fan on the backside of the case (Corsair Air540 is dual chambered).

Only thing I haven't done is drop down to 6 or 4 cores. I can't figure it out. I understand that OC from 3.2ghz to 4.6ghz is impressive enough (43% increase), but I want MOAR!!!!!!!! Any suggestions??? Should I admit defeat and swallow that my particular silicon just maxes out at 4.6????

System:
FX 8320e
Saberkitty MOBO
16gb DDR3-1600

You cant drop cores properly on any ASUS board as far as i know, and even if you could, why would you ? if you multi-task its a performance drop.

Open HWMonitor and run prime for 20 min and post screen shots of HWMonitor and CPUZ .... CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. please

For what ever reason he wants more speed. Sometimes handy in game but usually nothing ground breaking. I would try dropping back to 4.5 and start over from there but add some CPU_NB voltage. I think that's likely part of the hang up and you may be overvolting the CPU to compensate. 16Gb of ram makes the IMC work that much harder and as the core speed increases so does the IMC load. Just as an experiment try 1.3-1.35v CPU_NB and then work up to 4.6 see if the core voltage requirements are the same then try 4.7 etc... . Could be you're near the end as well. I have seen that with some of the 8320e, very good a low voltage but not always so good at high speeds

We know he's trying to get more speed, but dropping cores on a FX gives a nearly negligible boost. How does that work temp wise ? Say you drop from 2x8gb to 1x8gb ?

Alright all, I recently acquired a new Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 (as well as a corsair air 540 which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!!!) and I'm still on my journey to overclock my CPU to 4.8ghz. I've managed to get stable at 4.6ghz using straight multi and FSB overclocking with a vcore of around 1.47. I've got plenty of thermal headroom to go higher, ~20c or so, but I cannot seem to get stable at 4.7ghz despite my best efforts. Going from 4.6 to 4.7 stable seems to require 1.6v vcore, something i'm just not willing to fiddle with. I've tried everything I know to get stable at 4.7 but just can't seem to accomplish it, so I turn to you.

Things I've done: both multi and FSB OC, manual set HT and and CPU/NB freq, all spread spectrums disabled, all the normal stuff disabled, increased the capacities to 130%, LLC set at ultra high, increased NB voltages, CPUNB voltages, VDDA voltages, DRAM voltages, NB HT voltages, 120mm fan on the backside of the socket, 80mm fan on the VRMs, H105 AIO in Push/Pull, 3 120mm intakes, 140mm exhaust, added an additional 80mm fan as an intake fan on the backside of the case (Corsair Air540 is dual chambered).

Only thing I haven't done is drop down to 6 or 4 cores. I can't figure it out. I understand that OC from 3.2ghz to 4.6ghz is impressive enough (43% increase), but I want MOAR!!!!!!!! Any suggestions??? Should I admit defeat and swallow that my particular silicon just maxes out at 4.6????

System:
FX 8320e
Saberkitty MOBO
16gb DDR3-1600

Without understanding what you mean by unstable makes help difficult. But some pointers never the less... Ignoring core shut down bashing while 90% of the time you are not utilizing 8 cores even gaming.

Curious about the psu and video cards in use also.....

Advise here.....

In attempts for those trying to reach high speeds 20c below threshold means nothing while noting temp is unknown. So I advise to provide many screen shots with load temps and the different settings you've tried.

1.6v for 4.7ghz? Perhaps. Its not uncommon to drop transistors from lack of cpu vcore. Often times trying to tweak a processor with what I would consider limited cooling seems difficult. Also noting most FX processors like running cool vs warm and definitely not hot.

Goals for 4.8 - 5ghz..... Cpu socket temp would likely need to be under 50c. While recognizing 65c a common asus throttle temp meanwhile trying to keep core temps under 60c. At least with experience, these suggested temps of mine seem to be a sweet spot while running 5200mhz with a 9590, 8320, 6300 and various other processors c the FX family.

In short your processor is not voltage limited, it's cooling limited. The cooler they run the better the stability as we've seen many chillers come through here clocking as high as 5.6ghz with plenty of stability yet not practicle for daily use.

Your best bet for high clocks will ultimately be to lower the temperatures of your processor. Anything else will just be fiddling and a waste of time imo.

So if you are in that REAL itch for more speed.... try some chilling. Then you can cool that 1.6v and may find cpu may not even require that much voltage while being chilled.

Unlock cores to cut tdp in half just to see what you can acomplish? Sure why the heck not? Nothing wrong with getting first hand experience trying multiple methods of overclocking including and not limited to using software in the sake and search of experience and plain having a good time.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Synn what's the ultimate goal here, you want more for, gaming, benching etc...? If it's gaming I'd like to see the screenshots Bassnut suggested you post. I'd be shocked if that chip wasn't maxed out temp wise with that heatsink at 1.6 V. At 4.6 it is stable, running what?

Goals for 4.8 - 5ghz..... Cpu socket temp would likely need to be under 50c. While recognizing 65c a common asus throttle temp meanwhile trying to keep core temps under 60c. At least with experience, these suggested temps of mine seem to be a sweet spot while running 5200mhz with a 9590, 8320, 6300 and various other processors c the FX family.

In short your processor is not voltage limited, it's cooling limited. The cooler they run the better the stability as we've seen many chillers come through here clocking as high as 5.6ghz with plenty of stability yet not practicle for daily use.

I think this is the first Ive heard of throttling at 65c, and if 50c is where my socket should be I seriously need to invest in better cooling!

Would you hurt me too much if i told you im 4.7ghz and my socket hovers around ~40c normally ?

At 5.2ghz stable my delidded 9590 socket temp may see 52c on a bad day. While stock with 120.2 only (auto everything) both saber tooth and chvz throttle at 65c as well as my wifes FM1 delidded 3850. This applies to mainly asus while on auto.

Never would I suggest running a cpu at or over 60c full knowing heat is no good.

Meanwhile testing with chilling ultimately lowered voltage at given similar clock speeds.

Also fully aware even way back to socket A, there are some silicon that dont mind running warm. Seen many air cooled processors make impressive clocks but fact remained colder temps yield better overclocks.

I've overclcoked every FX chip with a few exceptions... While running 5ghz on ambient average voltage was 1.5 to 1.6v. On chilling take .05v on average off that number. While sub zero take roughly 0.1250v off that number. Please allow give or take here with a considerably small margin.

Had a opty 165 that would run 3ghz at 75c. Needless to say the chip died at 3.2ghz stable in just a matter of weeks.

Heat kills. Run em warm boys. As long as you steer clear of that 85c core shut down temp.... I could care less.

Never would I suggest running a cpu at or over 60c full knowing heat is no good.

Wait wait wait, were talking about socket not core, my CORE/Package on a bad day sees ~55c, socket ~60c.

What is this chilling you speak of ? "heard" it mentioned multiple times on several threads.

My traditional favorite is tap to drain liquid cooling. Have used modified dehumidifier also. DICE on rads. Fountain pump in a bucket of ice water and even Peltier cooling. I've done all these types of chilling on FX processors. We can include LN2 for extreme clocks.

Most FX processors I've run where also delidded fyi.

I should also mention when delidded socket or cpu temp lowers and is usually lower then the on die or cpre package temp.

While Ihs plate is soldered on, heat is collected in this copper before heat is removed meanwhile core temps are lower.

My temps are generally backwards from traditional users giving me slight advantages.

I should also mention when delidded socket or cpu temp lowers and is usually lower then the on die or cpre package temp.

While Ihs plate is soldered on, heat is collected in this copper before heat is removed meanwhile core temps are lower.

My temps are generally backwards from traditional users giving me slight advantages.

Not arguing that lower temps are better, this is interesting, higher clocks at X volts are proven with lower temps. Everywhere I go though, 72cSocket/62cCore seems to be a wall that FX chips can safely lean on.
@op If your temps are in check, 1.4gHz is a huge bump, I'd be stoked. Get better cooling if you want to go higher.

Not arguing that lower temps are better, this is interesting, higher clocks at X volts are proven with lower temps. Everywhere I go though, 72cSocket/62cCore seems to be a wall that FX chips can safely lean on.
@op If your temps are in check, 1.4gHz is a huge bump, I'd be stoked. Get better cooling if you want to go higher.

The TJmax of most FX processors is 85c. While manually overclocking, socket/cpu temp throttling is removed or turned off by the user. There is NO max socket/CPU temp available, the 72c you mention is a user defined idea of what threshold may be. However you will not find any information from AMD about socket temps as this is a motherboard reading.

AMD recommends a max CORE temp of 72c and may be seen via AMD overdrive, but the actual thermal shut down is 85c, not 72c. The 72c is a sustained recommended temperature, not an actual temperature threshold.

So basically it's safe to say that you don't even really need to watch "socket/cpu" temps closely, however higher heat creates instability quicker and this may be more of a motherboard temp threshold most users are not aware of.

Most of the time I plain ignore socket temps while they are much cooler than my core temps recognizing that my processor is physically mod'ed and must closely watch for my TJmax on that cpu core temp.

Here's 4.7ghz cpu, 3600mhz HT and roughly 2000mhz NB memory underclocked a tad at 936mhz. This was only 5 minutes of load, so temps are not reflective of 2 hours please note.

3600mhz HT NP II temps.png

Back