• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Default BIOS settings for i7-950?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martinlest

Hi. I have a PC (5 years old now, I use it as a second machine) which has been working just fine until this week, but when I boot (into Windows 7 (x64) ) the PC soon freezes up completely, or I get a BSOD (the PC rebooted - I have changed the settings so it won't in future and will note down details). I do have one crashdump file (ntoskrnl.exe problem), but what I want to try at the moment is to return the clock settings to default. The M/B is a p6x58d-e. Googling has found lots (of course) on overclocking but all I can find is the default CPU Voltage (1.18).

The P/C has always been overclocked with no problem, giving a stable 3.8GHz. The settings I was using are below. Last week the O/C failed and in the BIOS the CPU Voltage of 1.30000V, which had been OK for years, was in purple, indicating a problem. The highest I could get the BIOS to accept was 1.20000. But I made no other changes to settings in the BIOS - maybe this is where the problem lies, changing the CPU Voltage alone?? I can enter the stock value of 1.18000V for CPU Voltage, but what else to I have to change in the following settings to return the PC to its default clock settings (DRAM Bus Voltage???). As this is not my principal PC any longer, I have no reason to overclock, if that is what is causing the problems now. (Any other suggestions as to the cause, otherwise?).

I checked Core temps BTW - all are fine under load. Running an AVG anti-virus scan has all cores running near max though, is that normal?? The PC freezes up after a while...

I am also running Memtest84 - no problems shown so far.

Thanks!

Martin
------------------------------------

Ai Overclock Tuner Manual
CPU Ratio Setting 19.00
Intel (R) SpeedStep(TM) Tech Disabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode Auto
BCLK Frequency 200
PCIE Frequency 100
DRAM FREQ 1603MHz
UCLK Frequency Auto
QPI Link Data Rate Auto
ASUS/3rd Party UI Priority ASUS Utility
- DRAM Timing Control (All Auto)
CPU Voltage Control Manual
CPU Voltage 1.30
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.64
CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled
Intel HT Technology ENABLED

Last edited:
It's typically F7...?

Or your board should have a cmos reset jumper that does the same thing. See your manual for where it is located and how it's is done.

At the moment - and this is tempting fate, I know - the problems seem to have stopped. I'll wait until they reappear.... (I simply ran Memtest86 for a couple of hours - but there were no problems came up. Not done anything else... Core temps still fine, under well 40 degs C at idle...

Idle temps are about useless... but that is a fairly warm idle. What are your load temps using a stress test application? Have something running in the background that logs it, run for at least 15 minutes and check it (report back).

MS Flight Simulator X & CPU Stability Tester 6 (majorgeeks.com). The first one is probably the more strenuous!

Try prime 95, aiad64, or a real cpu test. One is a game, and the other I have never heard of.

Does the version matter in this case? It's not like his cpu has avx instructions....

Perhaps not, but I thought a version that was closer to when the OP's CPU was made might be more relevant or perhaps better optimized to his or her system.

Back