• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my current Corsair 750W PSU.

Reason being? Mainly because I am considering getting another GTX 970 and I don't want any potential issues. I believe my current PSU would suffice to SLI both cards but I believe based on my calculations it's cutting it a bit close?

I'm considering the EVGA 1000W G2 PSU that comes with the 10 year warranty.

What I'm looking for in terms of features is as follows;

1) Modular and mounted at the bottom
2) Quiet but still want the fan
3) I prefer black/blue cables but the EVGA is red/black...that's fine
4) COIL WHINE, I hate it and don't want it.
5) Gold is enough, don't need Platinum

Is the EVGA my best choice or are some of the other PSU's in that wattage range better component wise? Price is not a concern but if I have more than one to choose from then I can also look for deals on more than one PSU and pick which has the best sale or one I can find locally from a private seller.

Thanks.

Pepi93, the Psu you have already is plenty for 2 GTX 970's and the 4670k even overclocked. Even if you Oc the cards to the max and the Cpu you likely will not be drawing more then 500-550w under full load between those components. Add another 100w for the rest of the setup and you're still under.

Hmmm...I did this online PSU calculation and it gave me a reading close to 700W with everything. I was also thinking it would be enough until I used that tool :D...

Thanks though, this puts my mind at ease.

leave the 1000 and up psu's for the tri 980 crowd, for any dual card rig an 850 will be more than enough and your 750 will be plenty.
have you checked the evga site? only some 970s will sli with others, you REALLY need them to be the same part numbers, I found that out the hard way and am rmaing one now so i can sli them.

I5 4670k is 84 w, the GTX 970 is 145 w X2. So 290w for the cards and 84w on the cpu. Overclock the cards on ambient cooling and an exaggerated guess on power consumption is 220w a card and maybe another 130-140w on the Cpu. So 570 w plus maybe another 100w for the rest of the setup.

I did a little research just to see and an overclocked I7 4960x to 4.5 with a GTX 970 oced was drawing 363w watts total for the whole system. You're fine with a 750w.

I'll look more into the SLI compatibility for sure and also thanks for verifying the other info regarding the PSU.

Awesome! I was actually looking at either the 2974 or the 2978 since they are both available in the stores near me.

Back