• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my PSU be enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harlequin76

Registered
Hi,

I recently ordered the Silverstone SFX500-L power supply for my new case, and I am not sure if it will be able to power my pc.
I am getting a i5 6600, and MSI R9 390 twin frozr.
Other then that I will have 1 m.2 ssd, normal ssd, maybe a 2.5 hdd, Slim optical drive, scythe cpu cooler, ddr4 memory.

I think it should be fine, I taught about going for GTX 970 because it less power hungry, but the R9 seems much better for my needs.

I read the power consumption and reviews and seems like it will be fine or more like in the cusp.. but I want to be 100% sure.

Thanks a lot!

the 500 should be fine, I'd like to see a 550 in it but the 500 should do the job.
at 500 check the specs and make SURE it has all the connectors you need.

Plenty of power.

Can you put up a link to the exact 390 you bought?
The PSU has 1x 6-pin and 1x 8-pin for a GPU.

I currently have a i5 2500k, but I am not going to remove it from my old computer.

I am going to get a msi z170i or asus rog impact or asus pro gaming board, meaning I will be able to OC if I want.
I probbaly won't to begin with, but maybe in the future, and I wouldn't want to buy again the cpu..
But I think that will push the 500w psu to the limit..

if you are not comfy with that wattage then up it 100-150 or so, that will give you a little room to grow and the cost is not a lot.

I would love to, but the case I got can only fit SFX or SFX-L and I prefer the L because the bigger fan meaning it will be more quiet.
And the only good L I found was the silverstones and I read good reviews about it.

Just to update what I am getting:

Rvz02
Samsung 850 evo 500gb
1 TB Seagate
MSI Twin Frozr R9 390 (won't OC)
G.SKILL DDR4 2666mhz 2x8gb (won't OC)
Silverstone SFX-L 500w
MSI z170i PRO GAMING / Asus Impact VIII z170
i5 6600 or i5 6600k?

Will it be okay if I get the 6600k and try to OC to 4.2ghz for example?
Honestly I don't think i need to OC but it feels a shame to get such a pricey motherboard and not OC..

Last edited:
I don't mind trying with the OC nothing wrong with failing, I just don't want to spend on something my psu won't handle.. i.e if I get the i5 6600k rather then the 6600 will the PSU handle it in normal speeds (not OC)?
I think I can just get a GTX 970 / 980, and that will have less power consumption for sure by a lot..

I did a computation in the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator.. with the R9 390 is 438-448 wattage with i7 6700k not OC, so I won't have a lot of place to OC, but If I ever want I will be able to upgrade my PSU..

Back