• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX prices and availability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

Any one know why the AMD FX cpu's are being discounted and are in short supply? Newegg seems to have some of them discounted and then out of stock. I just got a 6300 from Tigerdirect for $90 because Newegg had it listed for the same price but was sold out.

the socket is, has been, will remain dead.
nobody wants them, it's socket 1151 now.
intels out perform them.
why order somthing that is a slow seller. (crap, I'm an amd fanbouy)

the socket is, has been, will remain dead.
nobody wants them, it's socket 1151 now.
intels out perform them.
why order somthing that is a slow seller. (crap, I'm an amd fanbouy)

I think that all boils down to what the user wants to do with the machine. 1151 might be good if one wants to chuck $'s at it as it ill be significantly dearer than AM3+

I haven't had an Intel CPU in over 15 years. The last one was a Celeron 333 overclocked. It's been AMD ever since. Heck, I might not own a computer if I had to use Intel. I ordered the CPU and ordered a Gigabyte Mobo for it. This will get me another 4-5 years. This should be a big jump from my old Asus bd and X4 980 BE cpu. I don't have to have the latest and greatest.

I haven't had an Intel CPU in over 15 years. The last one was a Celeron 333 overclocked. It's been AMD ever since. Heck, I might not own a computer if I had to use Intel. I ordered the CPU and ordered a Gigabyte Mobo for it. This will get me another 4-5 years. This should be a big jump from my old Asus bd and X4 980 BE cpu. I don't have to have the latest and greatest.

What do you want for that 980? :)

I knew you were being slightly sarcastic. I was just curious as to why the prices have dropped and some out of stock. It seems AMD won't have a new CPU until later next year. I don't want the A series or whatever their CPU/GPU combo is.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you want for that 980? :)

I don't know. Should I keep it and send back the FX 6300?

I picked up a FX-8350 last week for $115 shipped. Jet.com had one on sale at $149 and if you're a first time customer you get 20% off and then gave a few other discounts on top of that. I don't think I'm going to find such a deal again. They are out there if you look around hard enough. This was all prior to Black Friday.

Had an email from AMD advertising $149 for an FX8350 last week so deals are out there.

Ok, took the 'plunge' and ordered 8350... need me some 8 core goodness atm! Can't hangout for Zen, too long wait.. lol..

Part of the answer to your original question is that AMD has been pouring their energy into their APU (socket FM2) line for two or three years now. That has become their market niche as they have not been able to come close to Intel's performance in the enthusiast desktop market. They are phasing out the FX socket AM3+ line.

If you're wanting to get a good overclock out of that FX-8350 you might also need to look into a new motherboard. The OCF community has come to the conclusion that those CPUs really need something along the order of the Asus Sabertooth to handle the huge power draw of the eight core FX CPUs when overclocking. The majority of other motherboards just don't have a stout enough VRM to handle them.

Last edited:
Part of the answer to your original question is that AMD has been pouring their energy into their APU (socket FM2) line for two or three years now. That has become their market niche as they have not been able to come close to Intel's performance in the enthusiast desktop market. They are phasing out the FX socket AM3+ line.

If you're wanting to get a good overclock out of that FX-8350 you might also need to look into a new motherboard. The OCF community has come to the conclusion that those CPUs really need something along the order of the Asus Sabertooth to handle the huge power draw of the eight core FX CPUs when overclocking. The majority of other motherboards just don't have a stout enough VRM to handle them.

Yes, I understand all that about why Zen is late to market etc..

My current mobo is only considered "borderline" in terms of handling FX-83xx series OC potential. It will depend in part on the 'silicon lottery' when I get the chip and then I'm only interested in 'lowish' OC anyway. It's gotta be enough to last out until Zen platform is available for retail in my part of the world.. whenever that is..

I would have utilized the FM2+ platform more but the APUs are limited to 4 core potential anyway, a bit disappointing for some current software that can utilize 8 core cpus..

Its either that or drop a grand or so on X99 or Skylake platform...

Last edited:
Drop the grand or so if you can afford it. I was a committed AMD guy for many years up until about 2 years ago. I just got tired of promises, promises, promises that never materialize.

It's also a bit disingenuous to say the Intel option costs "a grand" without mentioning that the AMD build would cost the same...

The actual price difference between an i7 build and an 8350 build would be in the neighborhood of $150. And the performance improvement of a 4790K would more than justify that amount. (I used a 4790K in this example as it would have the most in common with the 8350 - DDR3).

Last edited:
Back