• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation- Desktop Computer with Intel Z87 Chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

I am looking for a Desktop computer of good or more favorable price, preferably in Tower or Minitower form-factor and that utilizes the Intel Z87 motherboard chipset (chipset specifications) and an Intel Core i7 processor or similar or better Intel Xeon processor.

It seems difficult to find such a computer due to many vendors not listing the motherboard chipset information directly.

I would appreciate and request assistance or recommendations for such a computer.

The computer should have at least the case, motherboard, and CPU.

I am aware that such a machine may be built given all the components, but at this time I would at least prefer the motherboard, CPU, and case already configured.

The Intel Z87 chipset may be the last motherboard chipset officially supported by Intel with drivers for Windows XP.

Last edited:
Why are you holding on to an unsupported OS? Being it is so 'old', I'm not sure what you are going to find new. Have you checked ebay?

Why are you holding on to an unsupported OS?
I am not; I am seeking a computer to run at least Windows XP with Service Pack 3, as it is the best available operating system for my needs/wants. Also, I do have some external hardware that do not have compatible Windows drivers that are for Windows versions newer than those of Windows XP and WIndows Server 2003.

Being it is so 'old', I'm not sure what you are going to find new. Have you checked ebay?
The technology should be no more than somewhat over two years. I would not consider such equipment old.

I have not checked eBay. I was hoping to find something in new condition.

Last edited:
Yes, you are holding on to an unsupported OS...

You mention you have hardware that doesn't work with Windows yet you are getting windows? I am confused...

There is new on ebay. I'm not sure who sells Z87 out of the major sites. Typically they only stock current and last gen (z170/x99/z97). Have you looked at the major sites already?

What country are you in?

You mention you have hardware that doesn't work with Windows yet you are getting windows? I am confused...
Sorry, for the misunderstanding. I am rather tired and shall try to get some rest. I have reworded the sentence regarding the drivers issue. My external devices do not support NT6 or newer series operating systems.

I'm not sure who sells Z87 out of the major sites. Typically they only stock current and last gen (z170/x99/z97). Have you looked at the major sites already?
I have checked the Asus website, Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and HP.com, but could not identify the motherboard chipsets used.

What country are you in?
United States of America.

In the end I purchased a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 with an Intel Xeon E5-1225 v3, 500 GB hard disk, and a slim optical drive (70A4001MUX configuration) for about $285 USD.

The computer uses an Intel C226 Chipset which is actually better than the originally intended Intel Z87 chipset and a driver configuration utility for it is available for Windows XP. Wikipedia's Intel Chipset list does not account for the Intel C226 Chipset.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you EarthDog for your assistance.

Last edited:
Why would that server chipset be better?
It is not per se that it is better because it is a server chipset; it is better because it may be better able to do things.

Both the Intel Z87 and C226 are from the same generation, released in second quarter of year 2013. The C226 appears to support and do what the Z87 does, but it is able to do more with its support of additional technologies such as Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d).

See http://ark.intel.com/products/75522/Intel-DH82C226-PCH for the Intel C226 specifications.
The Intel Z87 specifications link: http://ark.intel.com/products/75013/Intel-DH82Z87-PCH

Vt-D is in the cpu too. Z87 doesn't support it... I'm surprised.

I assume you are using vms to use that?

Back