• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 7750 Load Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheLazlow

Alright guys, this is my last resort. I currently have an ATI HD 7750 HIS low profile GDDR5 edition rated at 55 watts, it plays every game I have flawlessly (at least on the hardware end) except one, Minecraft.

When playing Minecraft I get slightly lower frames than my old GT 430 with ddr3, which makes no sense as the HD 7750 should be providing at least a 2.1x performance boost. Finding it very peculiar I decided to monitor all of the gpu's sensors and I noticed that it never went above half load capacity, then checked it with other games only to find it only happened with Minecraft.

I currently have a 255w psu with 220w max on the two 12 volt rails, the CPU is a 95w TDP q8400 that uses 170w at full draw, so my first thought was that since Minecraft is a very intensive CPU game my HD 7750 could be getting jipped a few watts and was throttling itself.

Intent on finding a solution I decided to add another 255w power supply to the mix(it was the only one available to me, and don't even get me started on how big of a pain it was properly setting up a 2 PSU system in a mini tower) and split the power between the two to provide enough power to everything. I kept the 24 pin from the main one plugged into the motherboard but swapped out the 4 pin peripheral for the extra psu's 4 pin, giving me 6 extra amps to work with, or rather 82 watts. But alas that didn't work either.

I've googled the hell out of this problem and have come up with literally nothing, I'm hoping someone on here knows the problem or can shed a little extra light on this for me.

A lack of power doesn't affect fps. It works or it doesn't for the most part.

Try overclocking the cpu and see if your fps increase.

The CPU is the limiting factor there, no question in my mind about that.
Minecraft is very single threaded and very sensitive to CPU performance.

Back