• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a MSI GT72S 6QF-013US Dominator Pro G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thudo

Registered
Morning community!

Just purchased an MSI GT72S 6QF-013US Dominator Pro G which was built to be overclocked.

I have successful got it from 2.70Ghz (turbo is auto-set 3.6Ghz) up to 4Ghz as you will see in Fig 1. via the CPU ratio w/o the need for voltage changes. CPU is latest Skylake i7-6820HK. It is fairly stable at this level although noticed when coming out of sleep using WIN10 PRO it will not go back to 4GHz (defaults to 3.60Ghz) unless I reboot OR even go back to sleep then come out of it. Even still, sometimes it will work as intended: stay @ 4Ghz, sleep it, bring it out, back to 4Ghz. Strange.

Laptop uses DDR4 2133Mhz Ram.

Whole system runs idle with the above set ~45c (CPU) and ~44c (GPU) and absolutely load up to ~90c (CPU) and ~85c (GPU) using Prime95 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

My questions are as follows:

1) For the CPU overclock, based on what you see in the BIOS how much farther can I go. What voltages can I go up to (1.25V max?) and do I only attempt this using the Core CPU Voltage on other options there?
2) For MEM overclock, again, based on the BIOS figure what do you recommend I try with the timings + voltage?
3) Re: Fig 2. Do I need to change any of those settings to further obtain a speed boost?

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Fig 1.
GT72S-6QF-013US_OC_Bios_Smallest.jpg

Fig 2.
GT72S-6QF-013US_Advanced_Bios_Smallest.jpg

Last edited:
You are temp limited (in stress testing). I wouldn't go any further without additional cooling.

Thanx ED!

Well how often does a laptop come around that encourages OC'ing? Remember, on these class of laps they have plenty of additional cooling I can bring to bear by the press of a button or in the BIOS. If active it can drop all temps by up to 10-12c so I am not temp-limited per se.

I think I might have hit the CPU limit but the mem I can likely get more out as well as the GPU (although that seems volt locked on these models unless I flash the firmware with a custom one).

Agreed as the benefits aren't worth the risk however I'd like to try in small increments. Any recommendations on the CPU OC? How should I increment the voltages to a max of 1.25V?

The name of the game is reaching a goal overclock with the least amount of voltage. How you manage getting there is up to you. :)

Or at least try to avoid hitting 90c for long periods. ;) I might have hit the wall with the CPU as running XTU CPU Stress testing @ 4Ghz seems be the sweet spot right now with idle temps for stock @ CPU: 33c / GPU: 32 with ambient temps @ 21-23c.

Yep but the trump this laptop has is the turbo fan mode which drops the overall temps by up to 12c. We're trying to figure out how to dynamically have it go on when X temp or CPU cycle is achieved. For some reason its either always on (via BIOS) or dynamic (within Win10 PRO) but seems bugged so working with MSI on this part. If the fan can go turbo only X temp or CPU cycle is met then that's a game changer. Right now, load temps after 15min XTU testing is close to 93c. Of course, that kind of testing is real excessive as even if I try to compress a massive folder with 7zip @ extreme settings I never see those kind of temps so real world I may never see but I am continue to test for this.

Right. But until you are able to cool things down, you cannot stress test an overclock to push further.

Well irregardless of my current ceiling I can still OC because I can force the fans "on demand" as the laptop has a button beside the keyboard. ;) So until I determine why the system isn't dynamically engaging on its own without manual intervention I keep going.

So just curious anyone know from the first page screenshot in Fig.1 how the CPU Core Voltage works as I can only add in numbers but with no decimals.

So how would I put in 1.215V if it only takes numbers?

Also, what are people's experiences using Intel's XTU tool and importing profiles? There is an XTU profile for the 6820HK which can OC it to 4.2Ghz but its for the Alienware laptop and not MSI. Whats the risk here? I find OC'ing memory far more dangerous to the OS then CPU or GPU but using XTU is not BIOS-related so if the boot fails then how does one go back to defaults?

Merry Christmas and Happy 2016 everyone!

Anyone on that above re: how to type in 1.215V into the CPU Core Voltage section in the BIOS? Is it 01215 or 1215 or something else? Thanks everyone!

Back