• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What tools do you use to bend acrylic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProgramGuy

Hi Guys,

As the titles says, "What tools do you use to bend acrylic?". I would like to know what others have experienced while bending acrylic. What pitfalls are out there and what techniques give the best results. I watched hours of youtube videos on how to bend acrylic, so I know the basics, and I'm looking more for the tools. I like the Monsoon Bender kit, as it comes with the measuring devices and the mandrels... Are others just doing it free-hand?

William

I used to bend a lot of acrylic in the machine shop for guards on manual machines and I always just used round bar or flat stock and a heat gun. I know you probably don't have access to bars of stock but you can just use what you have kicking around the garage as long as you have a decent heat gun. What thickness are you bending?

EDIT: Also, check out the project logs on the forum. Great tips and tricks can be found there. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/136-Project-Logs

Last edited:
I'm using acrylic tubing 10mm / 13mm. I watched a lot of videos on it and it looks rather simple, but I'm sure that I'll have to learn the quarks of it. I've been looking over the build logs for months now and there are a lot of great ideas that everyone is sharing.

I have never done this, although I am in nearly in the same boat as you. I think the best "tool" is going to be having extra tubing.
Heatgun, silicon tubing, hack saw, sand paper, free hand(To the extent that I may draw the angles out on a table, or use the something cylindrical for a nice tight bend)

Yes, extra tubing will be a must. Especially for your first time.

I ordered 12ft of tubing, so I think that should be plenty. I factored in some little bobbles... I watched plenty of youtube videos so I feel prepared.

Back