• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with router/phone configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antonio112

Registered
So I recently got a new router and modem because I hated those stupid rental modem/router 2 in 1 combo boxes that you get. I activated the modem, routers fine and everything, but the phone does not seem to cooperate. My R7000 Nighthawk has only ethernet ports unlike our last router/modem which had telephone ports and ethernet ports. I figured then if I put my phone wire through the ethernet port something might happens. It clicks perfectly in but my router does not recognize anything plugged in. I wondered if maybe it was too small because I remember my old old router would not accept the phone cable in to there because it was too big but these fits in perfectly. Any idea what it is?

Ok ty I just find it weird that it perfectly fits in. Is there such thing as a phone to Ethernet cable thing or...?

It's possible the combo router was passing through, but it's highly unlikely that you can just use a converter cable.

Some model numbers of the equipment would help get it working...

Do you have DSL or Cable? And as previously asked what Make and model of modem and router do you have?

I know that in my case, phone, TV & internet from cable, I have 2 modems, one for internet and one for the phone.

You need to have a modem that has RJ-11 ports. Your previous modem, had a built in AWG (advanced wireless gateway.) If you want to get a dial tone, you need to have you need to get the same modem you had previously. You can avoid the monthly fee by having 2 modems. You need your old modem, splitter, and coaxial wire. Wire from wall -> phone modem -> small piece of coax with connectors -> splitter -> small piece of coax with connectors -> modem you own. You have to make sure that your provider disables the wireless on their modem, so it doesn't cause connectivity problems with you router.

If it's just a SIP VoIP adapter that you need, the Basictalk HT701s that often go for cheap can be easily unlocked by following directions online.

Back