• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc freezing during games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eruntalion

hi guys, recently i built my new pc for gaming and when i am playing games the computer freezes, with unresponsive mouse and keyboard and the only solution is to do a hard reset, the time it takes to freeze varies from game to game but i can play at most 30-45 min, but it varies depending on the game and how heavy it is.

my pc is:
mobo msi 990fxa gaming
cpu amd fx 9590
ram corsair vengeance pro 1866mhz 16 gb
gpu msi r9 390 8gb gaming
2 wd hdd
psu corsair hx100i 80+ platinum
windows 10

so at first i thought it was the os so i did a couple formats and i also tried win 7 but the problem continued, then i thought maybe it's the hdd's fault so i downloaded wd's data lifeguard diagnostic and it said that both my hdd's are fine, i tried then furmark for my gpu and no problem there too, lastly i downloaded prime95 to see if it's the cpu's fault and both times i ran it the computer froze within seconds, the second time i also had hwmonitor for the temps and the moment it froze it was at 49 C.

Your problem is most likely the fx 9590 on the msi 990fxa gaming. What are you using to cool that beast of a chip? You should have a read through this thread, it may give you a better idea of what you need to do to run that chip on that board.

Ohhhh Ya that MSI board will struggle with that chip. I am surprised you got it to run.

yeah but the board says it supports that cpu.
here is a pic of my hwmonitor at the moment i am writing this, doing nothing heavy on the system
Καταγραφή.PNG
and as for the cooler i have the NH-C14S.

That doesn't mean crap.
I see high idle temps in your screenie and can totally see temps well above 60c when gaming.
You need a better cooling solution or try to undervolt, which that 9590 won't like at all.

EDIT- I already see a slight undervolt courtesy of your board. The 9590 will require at least 1.525v all the time. That will drive your temp even higher. Catch 22. :p

Understood and understand Msi is just trying to sell products. We deal with these Fx 9590's hands on and they require nothing short of Top end cooling ie. full custom loop and either an Asus 990Fx Sabertooth or Crosshair V Formula-Z. If you have the ability to return the chip for a Fx 83xx I feel you would have a much more rewarding experience.

so i will have to buy a nh-d15 ? or is there any better air cooler cause there is no place for water cooling in my case. and maybe i will have to return the mobo for another or the cpu for another and on top of that i will have to do another format. tl dr fck my life:(

60c max on socket while idle? Yikes! There are only two Mobo's, I believe, that AMD officially says support that CPU. Mandrake listed them above(maybe the asrock 990fx extreme9 too, 12+2 power phase?). And even then, AMD recommends taking extra measure to cool the board(VRM). Take note that amd doesn't sell the 9590 with an air cooler. It's either just the CPU because you the buyer understand you need to cool the crap out of it, or a CPU/AIO combo. The course with the least amount of headache would probably be to get an 8xxx chip.

Last edited:
yeah but will the 8350 be compatible with the mobo and will the cooler i have be enough ? also do the 8350 have similar problems ?

That board is garbage, it's your main problem.
The 8350 should do okay at stock on that board, but I wouldn't try to overclock.

yeah but will the 8350 be compatible with the mobo and will the cooler i have be enough ? also do the 8350 have similar problems ?

YES, the 8350 runs cooler with less power! No they don't have the same problems. I'm not rich, but trust me when I say I could have that chip if I wanted it. I have the board, I have the cooling, I just don't see the need. And yes I game my *** off (FPS).

Last edited:
I think you should try dropping the multiplier and voltage. Aim around 4Ghz-4.2Ghz @1.3Vz. Buy better CPU cooler, possibly add more case fans and pick up proper motherboard later if you feel you need it.

I think you should try dropping the multiplier and voltage. Aim around 4Ghz-4.2Ghz @1.3Vz. Buy better CPU cooler, possibly add more case fans and pick up proper motherboard later if you feel you need it.

processor will require 1.41250v for 4.0ghz. At 4.4ghz processor can request up to 1.5250v.

FX-9590 is not for faint hearted cooling.....

processor will require 1.41250v for 4.0ghz. At 4.4ghz processor can request up to 1.5250v.

FX-9590 is not for faint hearted cooling.....

Really? My 8350 runs 4.6Ghz at 1.38V, 5GHz around 1.5250V
1.3V 4Ghz-4.2Ghz should be easy for FX-9xxx

Really? My 8350 runs 4.6Ghz at 1.38V, 5GHz around 1.5250V
1.3V 4Ghz-4.2Ghz should be easy for FX-9xxx

The 9XXX chips are higher leakage than the 8XXX chips.

Also, manufacturing timeframe makes a difference with how FX CPU's will overclock.

Then I must have had it backwards.. I had the understanding that FX 9xxx were low leakage chips to keep the TDP somewhat "low" and to make it "possible" to air cool them.
I would still try to underclock the chip before returning it. Who knows maybe it does well.

Definitely worth trying an underclock.

The 9XXX act much more like the old 8XXX where there's a voltage wall, but if you have the cooling to push into it the chip keeps scaling.
The newer 8XXX are easier to clock up to ~4.8GHz, but they just stop gaining any speed at all once they hit that voltage wall.

thank you all guys for the help and the quick replies, i will see what i can do but it will take time probably. i will update when i have news

okay i just played for 4 hours straight crysis 2 with no problems, i lowered the multiplier to 20 and i am at 4000 and nothing else changed, it seems it's stable at that clock, i will see what happens when i try to play crysis 3, if everything is okay with that game too after a lot of hours i will try to raise the multiplier a bit until it starts freezing, to see at what clock it's stable

okay i just played for 4 hours straight crysis 2 with no problems, i lowered the multiplier to 20 and i am at 4000 and nothing else changed, it seems it's stable at that clock, i will see what happens when i try to play crysis 3, if everything is okay with that game too after a lot of hours i will try to raise the multiplier a bit until it starts freezing, to see at what clock it's stable
Yup. Now you're pickin your boogers and eatin em. :thup:

Back