• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coming Back in 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

Hello all, the last time I registered points was over 5 years ago. I'm going to be building my new setup next month (x99) when I'm home from another surgery. I was diagnosed in May with stage 4 cancer and have endured months of treatments and multiple surgeries. I have one more big one this coming Friday, they are removing 65% of my liver and another tumor that formed in my stomach. So I will have plenty of time to get my new computer built and set to fold for a cure. It meant a lot to me to fold for loved ones I have lost and now it's even more personal! I'll be reading up on how to get back into the fold while I recover, I will see you all soon. :thup:

Best of luck to you with your surgery and cancer treatment. I hope you have a cancer free, clean bill of health soon. My brother finished his treatments just about a year ago and, thankfully, is still doing well.

I've seen some of your other posts today & thought "isn't that the guy with the Lab avatar?". Then you added it back to your profile. lol

As far as folding goes, these days it is all about the GPU work units. The difference in points between those and CPU WU's is unbelievable. You should do pretty good running three WU's, one on each of your video cards.

welcome back and best wishes!!!!!

I think your 680's and my 770's are the same so about 120,000 perday each should be what you're looking at.

Best of luck to you with your surgery and cancer treatment. I hope you have a cancer free, clean bill of health soon. My brother finished his treatments just about a year ago and, thankfully, is still doing well.

I've seen some of your other posts today & thought "isn't that the guy with the Lab avatar?". Then you added it back to your profile. lol

As far as folding goes, these days it is all about the GPU work units. The difference in points between those and CPU WU's is unbelievable. You should do pretty good running three WU's, one on each of your video cards.

Hey my friend, a familiar face!!! I use to bench with you back in the day. And yes, I just added my avatar today, its funny how we remember people from their avatars. I'm looking forward to getting back to the technology world again, been out of the loop for a while.

I'm glad to hear your brother is doing well, I'm hoping to be cancer free soon. It's been a long road so far and I still have a ways to go. Nice to hear from an old friend and I hope to see you around more often pretty soon! :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

welcome back and best wishes!!!!!

I think your 680's and my 770's are the same so about 120,000 perday each should be what you're looking at.

Thank you sir! I can't wait to get back at it.

I do not fold but I recognize you.
Wishing nothing but the best, and see you when you return. :)

Do you still run Ubuntu for folding or has it changed since 5 years ago? If I remember correctly I had a virtual server running with Ubuntu for folding. I've got to go back to the stickies and read up on this, it's been way too long....

that's the way to do it, a cheap, junk motherboard/cpu combo and some ram of some sort.
used from the classies or a cheap apu combo from micro center.

If you're going for a new build I would recommend looking into getting a used GTX 970. I've scored one for $240, and one for $260 and range from 250k to 300k ppd (i'm near the lower end of that spectrum, but i also pause frequently for gaming, and probably don't have optimal drivers). Like JLK03F150 said, cpu folding is borderline useless these days, i don't even have my cpu slot enabled. Ubuntu folding does result in higher daily scores, so it should be used if you're doing a dedicated folding box, but if you're just folding in the background of your main PC it's not a must-do.

If you're going for a new build I would recommend looking into getting a used GTX 970. I've scored one for $240, and one for $260 and range from 250k to 300k ppd (i'm near the lower end of that spectrum, but i also pause frequently for gaming, and probably don't have optimal drivers). Like JLK03F150 said, cpu folding is borderline useless these days, i don't even have my cpu slot enabled. Ubuntu folding does result in higher daily scores, so it should be used if you're doing a dedicated folding box, but if you're just folding in the background of your main PC it's not a must-do.

I think for starters I'm going to use the new computer build to fold with and I will eventually slap together something to use as a dedicated folding rig. And damn, that's a lot of PPD! Things have changed a lot in 6 years! Thanks for the input. :thup:

you can do a dual boot system also, install win10 on one drive and Ubuntu on a second, fold on the Ubuntu system with a 970.
if that's the way you go, HayesK hand held me doing that in a thread not long ago to do just that and even I got it done and we can link you to that.

This is why we fold.

I look forward to your return in 2016, until then best of luck and here's hoping for a clean bill of health! :cheers:
Fold on! :salute:

AMEN.....S_S

The current OS for folding is basic windows 7/8.1/10 and any current gen graphics cards from either the green or red team. As sporktar said earlier, you can pull down 250K+ PER graphics card if you let them run 24/7. You could have a Intel i7 5960k and maybe pull 60k, so the best bang for the buck is in graphics cards.

Ubuntu is still run but it is only on 4p rigs.

I'm currently down right now while I compete in the Country Cup 2015 at HWbot. < On That Note > has anyone seen this item floating around for sale or is it custom made????

Multiple PCIe Connections to USB Connection.jpg

I'm currently running windows 10, would it make sense to throw together a cheap folding box instead of using my everyday rig?

I'm using Win10 64 bit and using the Windows 8.1 AMD driver as caddi daddi mentioned. I stopped using the CPU to fold as it was causing me grief and not earning much by way of points.

Back