• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD6850 Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mt_196

Registered
Hi everybody, after having overclocked my 1055T @ 3.9Ghz (go see the topic in AMD's CPU if you want) I'm going to oc my two 6850 giving them few months more of life waiting for the new Arctic Islands' gpus.

Right now I'm using this method to overclock: I go up of 10mhz each time on Core frequency and test with 2 minutes of OCCT gpu, if there are no errors I go further since I find the maximum then I repeat the thing for memories. Is it OK? After this I run the bench for 30 minutes and play games.

My current settings are 1.2V, 940Mhz Core, 1080mhz Memories. Seems that more hertz on memories makes my gpu unstable even at 1.2V, the same is for the core that is stucked at about 950/940Mhz. My temps are good for the upper card (60 degrees maximum) but the lower is reaching 80 after 1 or 2 hours of gaming.

What shall I do next? How can I go further? Is it worth to raise the core voltage?

IMO you will see better results if you focus more on overclocking the GPU cores and not worry too much about the vRAM speed.

What software are you using to overclock? Are you doing anything to manage the fans or just letting CCC control them? I had found MSI Afterburner did a better job controlling both GPU fan speeds rather than CCC.

I use MSI Afterburner (TrixX makes my system crash) and I use this configuration only when I have to play games so I set my fan at 100% manually

Approximately what is the voltage limit for those cards? And the max temp?
Ok I'll test with unigine heaven if it is better.

1.25 is about as high as you want to go on ambient cooling, for daily usage I try to stay under 80c.

Since i wasn't going any further with that voltage i just went back to 1.2V 950/1080Mhz seems the best my cards can get. Probably the point is that the second card is 30/35 degrees more hot than the first one that is 45°C. Well that's the best I suppose, I tried with 1.25 but no more than 960/1100Mhz was possible, so it is not worth.

I'll try to play Fallout4 the best I can waiting for the next gen GPUs (anyone can help with Fallout4's graphics settings?)

FWIW, my 6850 could go up to IIRC, 960Mhz core? So yeah, 950Mhz sounds about the average :)

You are correct in saying it's not worth the extra voltage and heat for 10Mhz more good on ya

So that's all 950/1080 1.2V is my best of. Well not too bad, I'm trying fallout4 at medium I'll tell you how it goes

The biggest issue one will face running newer titles with older equipment is the lack of Vram, 1gb is not much in today's standards.

I'm seeing lag in the loading of the map, after few seconds the game does 40/45fps on medium with blur and things like that disabled, but if I turn fast behind it lags for one second then all return normal

The biggest issue one will face running newer titles with older equipment is the lack of Vram, 1gb is not much in today's standards.
+1
I'm seeing lag in the loading of the map, after few seconds the game does 40/45fps on medium with blur and things like that disabled, but if I turn fast behind it lags for one second then all return normal
New game on old hardware.... Best you can do is live with it until you get the new GPU you want. :-/

Back