• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Mobo for FX-9590 under $150.00

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

njdubois

I already have posted my question about getting my current setup working in another thread on this forum, not looking for help on that again and will keep that in that thread.

I bought the FX-9590 because it was recommended for Fallout 4. I'm a little upset that they would recommend such a processor as sheep like myself bought it all excited to play this game. Well, I ordered it online, and can't return it. I am currently on my 3rd motherboard, each was store bought. One on thanksgiving, the next on black Friday, and than today, Saturday. So you can imagine what I have been through... Don't stress, I didn't blow anything up. They were fine, returned and the money is 3-5 business days away from my bank account.

My current motherboard is the Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0. It was recommended that another mobo will do the trick. I have no interest in pushing this processor, just want stock, out of the box stable fallout 4 action.

Between power supply, water cooling and the case I have already spent to much money, and am NOT looking forward to doing the mobo swap again, but if it means stability than I guess it is worth it. So I am looking for the final mobo, hoping that I can find one that will keep this processor happy, and for under $150.00. Ideally it will be in stock for store pick up at the Downers Grove, Illinois: Frys Electronic store, but at this point, I can wait for the shipping delay. My glorious 4 day weekend of new computer fallout 4 is down the drain anyways.

Any recommendations? Thoughts? Hell, anyone interested in buying the CPU for the price I paid? LOL, doubt it... don't blame you.

Thanks for your continuing support. I have a feeling that I will be utilizing the wisdom of this forum for some time now.

Best Mobo for FX-9590 under $150.00

Quick answer.... There isn't one.

BUT you could search for a used Asus Sabortooth 990FX or buy new which is only a few dollars above your 150$ budget.

Best 2 boards to handle FX-9590 is Asus Sabortooth 990FX and Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

Now in order to cool the FX-9590 properly, You want a bare minimum liquid cooling loop (preferably custom made) with no less than 120.4 rad and 8 rad fans.

On the Current board, It would be ok to down clock the cpu and follow this P-state recommendation until you have a newer board and stout cooling for the processor.

P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0B - IDD 14 (20.00x - 1.412 V)

That's 200 x 20 and manually run 1.4120v and set LLC to Ultra High. All other settings you can leave on auto except Ram frequency desire.

This is the best advice I can give you for this beastly processor.

Also, you are a neighbor to me essentially. I've shopped at FRY's on many occasion.

We have shared the same bread of the gods than! I'd have lost my mind if not for Frys!

This is my current system:

MOBO:
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (Version Rev 1.xx)
Bios Version 2501

CPU
Amd FX-9590 Black

Cooler:
Liqmax II All in one liquid CPU Cooler

MEMORY:
Pny - DDR3 8Gb 1600 x2

POWER SUPPLY:
RX - 1000AE (1000 w)

VIDEO CARD:
XFC Radeon 7950 x1

HDDs:
SSD: PNY 240 Gb (SSD7SC240GSA-OPM)
Seagate Barracuda 1000Gb (PN: 1CH162-#)5)
Not on RAID.

SOUND DEVICE:
On Board (But using G430 via USB)

USB:
XBOX 360 Wired Controller
Logitech G430 Headphones.
Logitech K360 Keyboard
Logitech M570 Mouse
(Keyboard and Mouse share USB Adapter)

O/S:
Windows 8.1, fresh install.

Case:
Antec GX-505 Window ATX Mid Tower Computer PC Case (Model #GX-505 Window)
There are the 2 stock fans on Top, and I removed the rear fan to install Cooler.

Other than mobo, all else checks out ok?

Thanks many times over for the fast reply. Going to try to get some sleep now, I'm fried!

Now in order to cool the FX-9590 properly, You want a bare minimum liquid cooling loop (preferably custom made) with no less than 120.4 rad and 8 rad fans.

Needs double the radiator you currently have now.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the FX8370 and FX9590 other then AMD has overclocked it out of the box for you. Some of the stock settings in the PStates, voltages the CPU requires to run certain speeds is so much higher to run then what would be needed by switching to a FX8370 and an asus sabertooth and overclocking it yourself resulting in lower VCore and temps. However if as stated above you can't return it pickup an asus sabertooth and the best AIO liquid cooler you can.

You are not the first person to pick one of these FX9590 chips and be surprised when they have issues running it and usually those surprises are directly related to heat and the motherboard. Although a nice chip AMD has not done great with stating the needs of these chips and many board manufacturers have multiplied that by overstating the board support for the chip and again complicating the issue so many stores do not understand this.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the FX8370 and FX9590 other then AMD has overclocked it out of the box for you. Some of the stock settings in the PStates, voltages the CPU requires to run certain speeds is so much higher to run then what would be needed by switching to a FX8370 and an asus sabertooth and overclocking it yourself resulting in lower VCore and temps. However if as stated above you can't return it pickup an asus sabertooth and the best AIO liquid cooler you can.

You are not the first person to pick one of these FX9590 chips and be surprised when they have issues running it and usually those surprises are directly related to heat and the motherboard. Although a nice chip AMD has not done great with stating the needs of these chips and many board manufacturers have multiplied that by overstating the board support for the chip and again complicating the issue so many stores do not understand this.

The real issue are the manufacturers stating compatibility.
AMD did all they need to, they tell you how much heat it is going to put out in the form of raised TDP.

we have seen this all to often, just bight the bullet and get a sabertooth, the money spent now will save much more than just money next week.

Unless you want to throw more money away get a Sabertooth 990FX R2 and AT LEAST a 240 mm AIO. Don't go for half measures. I actually would ditch the 9590 and get an 8370 or 8350.
I agree with CJ!!!! If I feel ditching the 9590 for a Fx 83xx is a much better solution for the average user. You can easily run a Fx 83xx chip on the M5A99Fx Pro up to about 4.5 Ghz.

Well, thank you all for your frank, honest and prompt replies. I made an idiotic, uneducated purchase and I was expecting more harsh comments than what I received. Thank you for that.

I have decided to sell the processor and get an 8xxx series. I apparently messed up and left some minor marks on the cpu, this is obviously because of the damned water cooler being such a pain to install. Because of this, I am going to be posting it for about 150.00. I know I'll need to make up the difference when it sells and it comes time to buy the next cpu but I guess I deserve that. This whole ordeal has been an incredible learning experience. I know that at 150 it will sell, there are dozens already up on ebay and I bet it's for the same reasons I'm selling it. Hell, it will probably get up close to 200.

If anyone here is interested in a trade, I'm looking to get a 8370, and if anyone wants to know the link to the auction when I do post it let me know. If I do find someone who wants to trade, whats the best method to do this to insure both parties get what they are after?

Again. I really really appreciate the feedback I have received from this forum. I'm not an overclocker and I fear that once this ordeal is over I may never have the pleasant opportunity to speak with any of you again. Maybe someone in the same position I'm in will find this thread and do what I should have done and skip this processor.

Here is wishing you all the best, may your cpus run fast and cool.

Well, thank you all for your frank, honest and prompt replies. I made an idiotic, uneducated purchase and I was expecting more harsh comments than what I received. Thank you for that.

I have decided to sell the processor and get an 8xxx series. I apparently messed up and left some minor marks on the cpu, this is obviously because of the damned water cooler being such a pain to install. Because of this, I am going to be posting it for about 150.00. I know I'll need to make up the difference when it sells and it comes time to buy the next cpu but I guess I deserve that. This whole ordeal has been an incredible learning experience. I know that at 150 it will sell, there are dozens already up on ebay and I bet it's for the same reasons I'm selling it. Hell, it will probably get up close to 200.

If anyone here is interested in a trade, I'm looking to get a 8370, and if anyone wants to know the link to the auction when I do post it let me know. If I do find someone who wants to trade, whats the best method to do this to insure both parties get what they are after?

Again. I really really appreciate the feedback I have received from this forum. I'm not an overclocker and I fear that once this ordeal is over I may never have the pleasant opportunity to speak with any of you again. Maybe someone in the same position I'm in will find this thread and do what I should have done and skip this processor.

Here is wishing you all the best, may your cpus run fast and cool.

Most people here have made very similar mistakes as far as purchasing hardware. As far as not being an overclocker this is what I have to say. When you start overclocking you learn a ton about boards, cpu's, ram' troubleshooting etc.... It really helps in your day to day computing imho. Plus there is a lot of untapped potential in the FX cpu's save the 9590 and maybe 9370.

Last edited:
we are not trying to harsh on you, ALL OF US HAVE DONE STUFF LIKE THIS, it's just better to be up front because we KNOW.........

The only bummer about the down grade to the FX-8350 is the Major performance loss for a non overclocker.

Let's say the Cpu throttles to 4.5ghz (first throttle p-state), it's still 300mhz faster than the 8350 with turbo which only utilizes 4 cores at most. You are going to take a 700mhz hit on performance at base clocks. At this point you ask yourself is it worth all the trouble selling old cpu, buying a new one and then trying to overclock back to FX-9590 speeds without knowing if stability will be there anyways.

You'd be better off spending the money on one more radiator and splice it in to the current AIO cooler. Will need a radiator with a fill port and reservoir built in though.

It's tough with AMD. You get into nothing in between with clock frequency without the harsh high TDP issues.

Since overclocking many FX chips, I am using the 9590 with a custom loop. I gotta say, I'd never ever go back to a FX-8350 0r FX-8320 for daily use after I've found a good way to cool it. The FX-9590 just steady clobbers those lower end chips and I don't have to overclock a darn thing.

It sucks I know. Making a choice to sell your new FX-9590 and buy a considerably slower Cpu is a bummer reading from my end. Expecially if your not overclocking, you're just going to be disappointed..... But then your Mobo is bottom of the barrel, and the cooling can't hang. :(

I did the same thing with the same board and the 8 core is needy. My opinion is you'd be better off with a six core myself. A lot easier to handle

I did the same thing with the same board and the 8 core is needy. My opinion is you'd be better off with a six core myself. A lot easier to handle

Yes, from what the OP intends to use the rig for, eg. FO4 gaming, it uses at least 4 cores anyway + with hexacore you get the same L3 cache size (and most of us know cache helps with gaming) like the octacores but with lower TDP... unless of course if you OC it. :)

Let's say the Cpu throttles to 4.5ghz (first throttle p-state), it's still 300mhz faster than the 8350 with turbo which only utilizes 4 cores at most. You are going to take a 700mhz hit on performance at base clocks.

In gaming this hit will not be as substantial as it sounds, more likely just a few FPS. He'd get that back and considerably more if he upgraded his GPU.

Back