• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD7850 Cannot Install Driver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bin4t0r

I'm having problems with my graphics card & was hoping that someone could help me solve it.

So it started while I was playing a game, Terraria, and the screen froze intermittently and the "display driver stopped working" notification started appearing quite often. I thought it was time to update my driver and so I did. But when installing the driver, while the screen was supposed to refresh, my screen turned off and then went black/blue.

The screen only came back if I either:
1. Boot it in safe mode
2. Remove the amd graphics driver with DDU driver uninstaller
3. Simply disconnect the GPU and run off CPU graphics.
So basically, everything points to a problem with the AMD driver.

When installing the AMD drivers, I can install the catalyst control center, HDMI audio input driver, etc. I only can't install the AMD display driver properly. The driver versions I have tried installing are 15.200.1062.1004 and 15.200.1062.1010, but both doesn't work.

I also tried re-seating the GPU and even clean-installed the entire windows OS, but the problem still persists.

And less I forget, I'm using a MSI HD7850 Twin Frozr 2GB with an MSI B-85 G-41 PC Mate Mobo.

Also, I said that the GPU runs if I uninstall the drivers. However it does not run properly. There are green vertical lines in the display, as shown in the screenshot below. Although I was assuming that this would be solved by installing the driver somehow.

ICGMIxN.jpg

I would try using an older driver but Scotty makes a good point, Win 10 has had issues with drivers.

I reverted back to windows 8.1 but the problem still persists.
I've tried installing amd catalyst 13.12, 14.4 and 15.7.1 from here but all of them don't work.

Also, I noticed that sometimes there is a sound loop, like something hanged, while installing the driver. Other times, there isn't.
Also, sometimes the driver doesn't install at all and I don't have to use DDU after restarting from the blank screen. Other times, it seems to have installed at least partially as I have to disconnect the GPU and use DDU to uninstall.

Back