• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Guidence - Intel Based.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

Hello, It has been a LONG while since I've posted here. and even longer since I've played with desktops.

I am looking to build my first desktop in almost a decade.

For a Case I think I like
Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Steel
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_111&item_id=070455

CPU - i5 6600K
RAM - 8GB-16GB pending budget open to opinions I was always a Crucial guy back in the day
MoBo - Again very open, last 2 Mobo's were Abit, but happy to read about other brands and types if pointed to reviews, or just take suggestions here.
Graphics Card - Single Card that can support 2 monitors would be nice, ideally 4K monitors pending wife approval
SSD - Any Brands I should stay away from? I've been using Samsung in my last 4 notebooks.

One thing I really need direction on is how big of powersupply do I need.
Really consider me a newbie, who isn't afraid to read.

my usage will be Skyrim heavily modded, Age of Empires, Excel, and browsing and email, streaming Video content to my home network.
This machine will likely be overkill for my needs.

Thank you for any guidance.

See I'm so noobish I actually left out the most important aspect Budget ;)
Lets say before tax I'd like to keep the whole thing around $1800 Canadian.

Keyboard is going to be my trusty IBM Model M 1985, and monitor I'm not including in my budget.

Would you be willing to look at a Haswell based system vs a skylake system. You will probably be able to save some on the ram/cpu and can put the money towards a better gpu.

Would you be willing to look at a Haswell based system vs a skylake system. You will probably be able to save some on the ram/cpu and can put the money towards a better gpu.

Naaaa, If I'm going to come back and play I don't want to play with old hardware, I did that with the willma stuff, and had to rebuy quickly to play with the northwood goodness.

If I end up a little over budget I just have to deal with an angry wife, who doesn't even know yet I'm planning to take over the second living room with a desktop yet.

man that PCpartsPicker sign is some kinda useful! SO much nicer than notepad++.

Re the ASRock Z170 Extreme4+

Care to expand why you went that route? I had been looking at the MSI Z170A Gaming M5 Socket mostly because it was in the display case of the place where I decided I wanted to build a desktop today when I saw the above mentioned case.

that board is the "go to" board, it'll do the job everytime and not kill the budget.
I have the same psu in a rig, the urge to sli hit but it's to small.......... so if you might think about sli you might want to look at it's bigger brother, the 650, other than that it's a great psu.

man that PCpartsPicker sign is some kinda useful! SO much nicer than notepad++.

Re the ASRock Z170 Extreme4+

Care to expand why you went that route? I had been looking at the MSI Z170A Gaming M5 Socket mostly because it was in the display case of the place where I decided I wanted to build a desktop today when I saw the above mentioned case.

ASRock has been putting out great boards at a nice price.
The performance is great, the feature set is large for the price, and they're proven.

Specifically to the Extreme4+, you could drop to the Extreme4 if you don't need USB 3.1.
But both have a great set of features that fits for almost anyone.

that board is the "go to" board, it'll do the job everytime and not kill the budget.
I have the same psu in a rig, the urge to sli hit but it's to small.......... so if you might think about sli you might want to look at it's bigger brother, the 650, other than that it's a great psu.

I agree, if SLI is in your future, go ahead and up the PSU now.

Been Buying up the Parts for this Build over the last week.
Sadly the graphics card I wanted was sold out and because I'm impatient I'm looking at other cards

I've got
Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme 6GB GDDR5 (ZT-90505-10P) - 1253 MHz Clock, @ $859.00 + $40 mail in rebate http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_559&item_id=084858

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB 7GHZ GDDR5 ] OC 1178/1279MHZ $849.98 + $30 mail in rebate http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-geforce-gtx-980-ti-23-113226-1027.htm

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti 1152MHZ 6GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5 $839.99 http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-ti-ff-111132-1027.htm?affiliateid=7474144

Any one I should run away from? or Run to?
Still on the fence if I'm going Air or Liquid for my CPU cooling, so quite does get extra marks.

Are you opposed to EVGA? I prefer their ACX cooler versions personally.

Are you opposed to EVGA? I prefer their ACX cooler versions personally.

EVGA was my first choice,
EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti SC+ w/ACX BP 6GB GDDR5 (06G-P4-4995-KR)
But it was not available when I went to try and buy it
Mind you I didn't check Western Canada availability. I should look at NCIX

Back