• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD , Windows 10, and Catalyst Drivers Problems - Solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

This happened to me as well and I wanted to post here on forums too.

When trying to install catalyst driver it doesn't show display driver to be installed, or display driver will fail to install on Windows 10.

SOLUTION: it's important to follow these instructions !!

1. Install and run AMD Clean uninstall !! This step is important if you have already been trying to install and uninstall drivers. Just a good idea in general anyways !!

AMD Clean Uninstall Utility

2. Reboot - Machine now running clean state

3. Manually run windows update and it should detect your display driver now. Let windows install the driver. (This driver includes 15.7.XXX version and has Catalyst Control Center aka CCC. I would highly recommend doing the latest update to windows too if you haven't already.) Using Device manager did not work for me, only running windows update did.

4. Reboot

5. Run the downloaded version you tried before of Catalyst to install update to CCC, display driver, hdmi driver, software etc ......

Side Notes :

1. I have no real clear idea why after installing driver from windows update and running downloaded driver now works to to install display driver.
2. Dont forget your Chipset Drivers :D

I found this by trying to install latest drivers from AMD. I originally thought it was Llano core issue not being supported as far as trinity and richland cores. But seems others have problem too.

Edited to remove specific hardware info. As this may be useful for all :D

Last edited:
Still dont understand. Like what ? imma stick my chin way out and you just hit me with a specific ..lol

To much reading for me :D But I see its bigger than I thought. I edited post to not be hardware specific. Windows is windows .. we get a new one we wait for updates .. nothing new there :D !!

Updates worked fine for me. In fact it was worse before the updates. My drivers didnt work correctly before the update. Watching web videos no matter the browser was choppy and some times unplayable. Smooth as butta now .. This happened to me on my windows phone though. After the update it crapped out.

Either way Mr.Scott this is what I did to get my drivers to work :clap:

10-4.
I was just mentioning it is all.

Roger big buddy !! Does windows 10 give you option of what updates to install ? Maybe just choose display driver and leave the monster in the closet.

And again this is for the people who run catalyst and display driver doesnt show up. Only Hdmi, CCC, etc ..

I thought i was reading in one of the win10 threads that someone had found a work around to disable the forced, third party hardware updates, is my memory failing further?

It doesnt, sadly
Thats a big bummer !! But I would be shocked if this doesn't change. We need to make a complaint thread on that :mad:

I thought i was reading in one of the win10 threads that someone had found a work around to disable the forced, third party hardware updates, is my memory failing further?

I don't know but that would be counter productive for this solution... In this instance we would want the third party driver for the display..

Back