• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asking for help oc processor 5820k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ithamar21

Registered
Hello.

my computer:
asus Sabertooth X99
corsair h100
I7 5820K
970 G1
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32GB DDR4 2400MHz F4-2400C15Q-32GRR

My teamp is 28-30

What settings should I pay to reach 4.5mhz or 4.8mhz And 2800mhz memory or 3000mhz? My motherboard has a lot of settings, not everyone I know and understand.
If anyone knows this board and help me reach steady oc without crashes

Last edited:
Welcome to OCF ithamar21
First, what cpu cooler do you have? Second on most boards AFIK 2800 and 3000 require you to use the 125 strap. But start with the CPu for now. It's fairly simple just raise the multiplier and adjust Core voltage as necessary. Test it with AIDA64 or similar stress test and watch you temps. Try and keep below 85C

How are you setting the memory ? Enabling XMP ?

So you set XMP and the PC crashes ? Am I hearing you correctly?

Only when I'm trying to raise the memory speed to 2400 or higher computer costs but is not stable test crashes. And sometimes I turn on computer and write "oc failed you press f1 to enter the bios fix set

I am not using an Asus motherboard (using MSI), but the initial issue that I ran into for stability had to deal with the main strap frequency. If I set it to a "nice" number like 100 MHz or 125 MHz, the system would not post reliably...and when it did, it would crash randomly in Windows.

When I started using 99.98 MHz, 100.02 MHz, 124.97 MHz or 125.03 MHz...all the problems went away.

Not sure if it will be the same for your motherboard, but worth a try!

Thank you very much.
I would try it
About memory just put it on in 2800 without touching the tension ?
No need to change any other settings ?
As blck, SVID, Retio min and max?

Don't know about the memory.

When I change my main strap frequency to something other than around 100 MHz, I get incorrect readings for frequency from the Windows utilities, and incorrect power usage information from all the other "standard" utilities like Intel Extreme Tuning, Hardware Monitor, etc.

I like seeing the correct power usage (I'm a geek), so I lowered my memory to 2666 (can be achieved with "100 MHz" on my motherboard) and lowered the timings to get speed. I couldn't really measure a difference between 3000 MHz and 2666 MHz with my system...but I'm not an expert like Woomack! :D

There are threads in the memory section on this...but basically you have 3 main memory timings...and they will be on your memory modules.

My method (don't know if it's repeatable as I only tried it on my system) was to start with the stock timings and stock frequency and scale from there. For example:

1. A memory has 17-17-17 at 3000 MHz
2. I drop frequency to 2666 MHz, so my first guess at timings would be 17-17-17 times (2666/3000) = 15-15-15
3. Test for stability
4. If not stable, increase the last two first
5. Test for stability
6. If not stable increase the first one

Again - Woomack is the expert here.

Be cautious when overclocking memory...it can bork your Windows installation if you hit an unstable setting.

Either image your hard drive, or be prepared to wipe the hard drive...worst case scenario, but it happened to me once.

I think it would be easiest for you to try 2666 first. memory isn't the easiest thing to play with and with this platform if you want 2800 or 3000 you likely need to use the 125 strap which will affect everything else. I suggest you get a grasp of the basics before trying something like that. I would use the XMP timings from the 2400 setting and just raise it to 2666 and you'll likely need a bit of DRam voltage to stabilize it. I assume your 2400 setting is 1.2 so start with 1.25. If you're still having trouble raise the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages a bit. Say +.2 and + .1 respectively

I do not need to touch the settings such as :
PLL
BLCK
SVID
CPU Ratio
BLCK frequency
DRAM SPD
BLCK High or LOW
Any setting I should use ?
Everyone left on auto?

About voltage memory which I should go have a few lines bios stress-related memory I do not know which one to get ?
The DRAM voltage ?

Aceh have these settings :
VCCIO CPU voltage 1.5v
VCCIO PCHvoltage 1.5v
VTTDDR voltage ( CHA , CHB , CHC , CHD )
All these settings are for auto

The voltages I mentioned will be with CPU voltage not memory section. Yes the DRAM voltage should be upped a bit and the others left at auto

Okay, I'll do the steps you told me and I'll update here

Just about this question:

I do not need to touch the settings such as: PLL BLCK SVID CPU Ratio BLCK frequency DRAM SPD BLCK High or LOW Any setting should I use? Everyone left on auto? Do not touch?

That should help with the memory but do you or do you not have the CPU overclocked yet? Start with the CPU and then the memory after you find what the CPU needs for X speed. Just leaving it all on auto raise the CPU ratio/multiplier to 4.2 (42x) and see if it'll boot. If it does use CPUz to check speed and voltage then post up a pic of the main CPU tab and memory and SPD tabs so we can have a look at your memory settings.

I did these settings:

Photo in CPU Z (when running PRIME95 multiplayer increases to X45):

Testing software PRIME95 does not pass.
I also tried to lower the memory speed of 2400 to play with the tension started at 1:25 I went up to 1:30
And still test fails I get a blue screen or the computer freezes

Back