• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not enough Juice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SheCantBuildCPU

I used the paperclip trick to jump my old M.B because it works better and faster than my Dell. But I no longer have the shell for it. That being said, it runs perfectly being jerry-rigged to the Dell's Power supply, it just won't boot. Is it getting enough power or is it just not compatible. :eh?:

Welcome to OCF
Not really sure what you mean. You say it's jerry rigged and works well then say it won't boot.

We need (a lot) more information.

What PSU? (please take a picture of the side that shows the power breakdown)
What motherboard/system is it trying to power?

I mean that everything turns on and the fans all work, no beeps and it sounds smooth. But it won't boot it's just a black screen.

What is your entire system specs that you are trying to power?

What is the power supply you are trying to use? (post a picture)

Ultimately I wouldn't recommend using an OEM power supply.

The old M.B is and ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
and the Power supply I'm trying to use is from a Dell Pentium 4 I believe it's a 250W stock power supply, I'm sorry but I don't know much about computers.

- - - Updated - - -

Dell 250W POWER SUPPLY PS-5251-2DF2 0W4827 FOR GX280

- - - Updated - - -

Dell.png

Motherboard is a start... what about the CPU that is in there? The videocard?

That said, that is a total of 168W on the 12v rail. I wouldn't run that PSU on anything honestly.

It's the only one I have at the moment, I don't know much about computer's or the technical stuff. Just some common seance stuff. I would tell you what the video card is but that thing is probably 4-9 years old so is the ASUS EVO M.B but well it's clearly better then this crappy Dell. I'll be sure to send a picture of the V-Card as soon as I'm home.

I'm with E_D that PSU is junk, weak and won't run anything properly. Depending on the CPY you are trying to run it may just be too small to get it going,

Not to mention that being a Dell, it my have proprietary wiring. 14a on the 12v rail is way to little. :p

Gx280 had proprietary wiring I believe. They didn't switch to normal atx standards until I think around a 755. That psu should not be used for anything else and in fact could damage or have already damaged your hardware.

Thankyou all for everything, and I figured out what game card I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Palit Radeon HD 4850 DirectX 10.1 XAE/48500+T352 512MB 256-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

The HD4850 pulls upwards of 100W alone, pulling half of your available power from a PSU that isn't meant to power a video card in the first place (and as stated, I'm almost certain uses proprietary wiring as Mr. Scott stated before I did) which may cause harm.

Look into replacing the power supply, you can find a decent one for about $50. check out our power supply guide here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

Back