• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

750W PSU and 980Ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

I'm planning to buy a i5 6600K + Gigabyte Gaming 7 + Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 16GB setup and was planning to get a Corsair RM850i PSU but the store I'm looking at stopped selling them because they say it's "End of Life".... this surprised me greatly as I thought the RMi series was new. Is this true? Are the RMi PSUs going EOL? Or is this just the online store stopping their orders of RMi? They're still selling RM750i PSUs though.

Speaking of 750W PSUs, I just want to confirm that my build (and planned upgrades) will be happy with a 750 PSU. Currently, what I will be running is:
i5 6600K (I will OC this CPU, obviously)
Noctua NH-D15
Gigabyte Gaming 7
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 16GB
XFX ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GHz DD
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB
Two SSDs
Two HDDs
One DVD writer
One external HDD

I have a few other gaming peripherals but surely this won't "break" the PSU. I've tried plugging in my data in some PSU-calculator sites and they give me anywhere from 500-6000W needed but obviously I don't know how accurate these are (any recommendations?) so I'm asking here as well to double-check.

I am planning to upgrade the GPU to maybe a 980Ti (or whatever has taken it's place at the time) and might dabble with dual-GPU configs just to try it out and I'd like the PSU to be able to handle it.

Thanks!

A quality 550W PSU would be plenty... including overclocking a 980Ti and a 6600K. If you are going dual GPUs (which I would not at 1080p/1440p and a 980Ti), I would go with a 750W, yep. The EVGA G2's are arguably the best Tier 1 PSU bang for your buck!

I used this site and it showed just under 550W for one 980Ti but adding another went up to just under 850W. Confused!

That's total system power... but its not close. The 980Ti is a 250W GPU. Your CPU is what, 88W? The rest of your system.. 100W (likely 50W). That is with EVERYTHING running 100% (which does not happen unless you are stress testing). 550W is PLENTY for a single 980Ti and Intel CPU overclocked. 750W is PLENTY for 2 980Ti's.

Definitely go EVGA G2. They come in at a great price and are absolutely bulletproof on performance/reliability.
Also the bigger units (750W and up) come with a 10-year warranty.

What is a "Tier 1" PSU? What is Tier 2?

I was hoping to get the Corsair RM750i PSU.... seems like my build is going Corsair :) Corsair case, RAM... now PSU as well. I was thinking of using the Corsair Link program as well. Is that good enough to justify Corsair vs. EVGA G2?

The G2 is available from my favorite online store and at a discount as well.... the 850W version is only £4 more than the RM750i I was planning to get.

Tier 1 is a grouping of the best. Tier 2 is good, not as good as tier 1 but plenty serviceable.

I wouldn't pay a penny more for a psu over 750w... it's a waste.

If you want a corsair build, build it. If you want to use corsair link, go for it. The RMi series are good, I believe tier 1 psus, but you are paying more for no reason (or perhaps the corsair link software).

If you're paying more for Corsair Link on anything, I'm sorry.

No, no. The G2 is 850W and is £4 MORE EXPENSIVE than the RM750i. Basically, I will be paying MORE for the G2 and I will lose out on the Corsair Link for the PSU. I figure I can still use Corsair Link for the fans and whatnot though. I will be paying MORE for the G2 but get 850W rather than 750W.

Thoughts?

If you're not planning SLI just get a 550W G2.
If you're planning SLI get a 750W G2.

Easy as that.

As I just said, I wouldn't pay a penny more for 850w psu...it's overkill.
I would pay that £4 more to go from a 7 year warranty to a 10 year warranty and 100 extra watts for down the road upgrades........maybe. Plus, I'm not a Corsair fan.

For the warranty, I'm with you... the 100w when he doesn't need it? Not so much, particularly since power use is trending down.

Thanks guys!

The Corsair has this "Zero RPM Fan Mode" which I presume the G2 has as well? The specs page don't really mention this on the G2... the only one I found was on a YT video talking about "Eco Mode."

If you're not planning SLI just get a 550W G2.
If you're planning SLI get a 750W G2.

The store I'm getting my stuff from doesn't carry the 750W G2. There are some other stores that do so but no experience with them plus I don't want to pay for additional shipping fees. On other online stores, the difference between the 750W and 850W G2 ranges from £8-£10.

When you guys says it's a waste to get an 850W GPU, are you just referring to the purchase price? Or will the 850W GPU be consuming/wasting more power compared to the 750W?

Thanks guys!

The Corsair has this "Zero RPM Fan Mode" which I presume the G2 has as well? The specs page don't really mention this on the G2... the only one I found was on a YT video talking about "Eco Mode."

Yes, Eco Mode is a zero RPM mode.

The store I'm getting my stuff from doesn't carry the 750W G2. There are some other stores that do so but no experience with them plus I don't want to pay for additional shipping fees. On other online stores, the difference between the 750W and 850W G2 ranges from £8-£10.

When you guys says it's a waste to get an 850W GPU, are you just referring to the purchase price? Or will the 850W GPU be consuming/wasting more power compared to the 750W?

It will only consume more power if your system demands more power.
We say it's a waste because of the extra cost for a power limit you'll never get close to.

Ah, I understand now. I was always confused about this.

So given the exact same system build, if it has a 600W PSU or a 1000W PSU, both PSUs will still pull the same power from the wall and the end user will still end up with the same electricity bill. Is this correct?

Back