• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev. 1.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

Just got the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev. 1.0 mobo today. Looks like a pretty solid made board. Once I get the FX-6300 for it, I'll fire it up. I'll see what kind of overclock I can get with your all's help.

From what I've seen the R5 boards seem to be doing well, especially for the price.
You'll run out of cooler before you run out of board now :)

Indeed I have this board with my 8320 @ 4.5GHz but I need more cooling cap above anything past that!! Definitely worth the cost I paid for the board 2 years ago even.

I'm getting used to the bd. I seems like a nice board. OC seems to work pretty well. It's definitely a sturdy and well built board. Once you figure out the quirks with this board it will be fine.

Can get this board for AUD$215 from MSY, could be an option...

Heck, if if Zen comes out this year, I"m in no rush to upgrade even .... zen! lol... :)

I'm getting used to the bd. I seems like a nice board. OC seems to work pretty well. It's definitely a sturdy and well built board. Once you figure out the quirks with this board it will be fine.

The sturdiness and 32gb capacity were the main selling points for me as I try to future-proof my builds as much as can be done, as I stated before, my previous Mobo/CPU could've lasted me another five years, but I needed to nix the bottle-neck my r9 290x was giving me..OCin' is simply icing on the cake!

Hi madman7,

New to the forum, fist post. I am almost a month into my new build and would like to overclock my CPU. Can you tell me what you entered in the BIOS to get to your current speed? I attempted to overclock once and the computer wouldn't boot, so I defaulted back to optimal settings. I was only able to get my RAM to post at 1600MHz as the XMP does not load. Do you think overclocking the CPU will allow me to hit 1866?

TIA

FX-6300
GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev 1.0
32GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1866MHz
NZXT Kraken X61
GTX 750 2GB
EVGA GS-650W
NZXT S340

XMP doesn't work on AMD. You have to manually change the timings and speed.

I set the correct timings manually, but it doesn't want to run at 1866MHz. I heard that bumping up the CPU could help, but then again, 1600 to 1866 is not a noticeable gain.

I set the correct timings manually, but it doesn't want to run at 1866MHz. I heard that bumping up the CPU could help, but then again, 1600 to 1866 is not a noticeable gain.

If you want some assistance Megaman ,I suggest starting your own thread. Old threads like this will get overlooked.

It seems to be working just fine on my Gigabyte board... Granted I'm not really pushing her hard these days, but when I was on the ol'H80 before it died, I was at 4.5ghz w/ a 12hr p95 blend stable...
I meant there is no 'auto' XMP like Intel. The XMP figures work, but you have to manually input them on AMD.

I meant there is no 'auto' XMP like Intel. The XMP figures work, but you have to manually input them on AMD.

See attached. Also, for Asus boards, to enable the X.M.P. -> AMD translation, you just need to enable the D.O.C.P. profile (iirc- I did this on the ROG Crossblade Ranger, it works).

Edit: I can't recall the profile name, it may be D.C.O.P. or something like it. The setting resides in the auto overclock/auto/manual option.

Attachments

• 1457748374084.jpg
    1457748374084.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,989
Interesting.
A little googling tells me that XMP does work on the 990 chipsets, yet I don't have the option in my R1 Sabertooth.
Might be due to my modded bios though. I'll have to check into that.
Thanks for that screenshot BF.

Where you set manual OC there's usually an option for DOCP which is AMDs XMP

I see it now. My bios defaults to manual mode and I never bothered to explore it further, since that's what I use on pretty much all of my boards. Thanks for straightening me out. :)
Old dog got schooled a little today.

Back