• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

A few weeks ago, my son's PC would not boot up. Pressing the power button, the fans would spin up for a second or two, turn off, then spin up again and would keep spinning. If I turn it off, then on again, the fans would spin up and keep spinning.

I tried changing the GPU but no display. Changed the monitor, no display. Tried changing the the battery, clear CMOS, still no joy.

I am guessing either the CPU, motherboard, or RAM has gone. It's a very old setup with DDR2 memory so I'm not really fussed about troubleshooting it because I'd rather replace it, which is exactly what I'm doing.

What I'm worried about is whether I would need a new PSU? I am hoping to change everything but keep the PSU which is about 5 years old... It's the PSU on my signature.

How do I know if my PSU is still healthy and working?

Thanks!

OCZ StealthXStream 700w for anyone on mobile ;)

I don't think it would hurt to replace it as well. 5 years is about the lifespan of a middle of the road in quality unit and you can get something pretty decent for not too much. What CPU and GPU will it be powering?

Not really sure I understand your first sentence there...

The setup in my signature is my current rig but I've changed my PSU to something else and passed the OCZ to my son. I'll be getting an i5 6600K and a 980Ti for my upgrade and will be giving him my setup as is on my signature.

I just don't want to plug in the hardware only to find out the PSU is defective and possibly damage something else.

The thing is my PSU is about 4-4.5 years old... So it's not exactly new either, but at least I know this one is working.

replace the psu, I just lost one and it took out much more than the computer.
and evga 650 g2 should more than serve you well.

Not really sure I understand your first sentence there...

The setup in my signature is my current rig but I've changed my PSU to something else and passed the OCZ to my son. I'll be getting an i5 6600K and a 980Ti for my upgrade and will be giving him my setup as is on my signature.

I just don't want to plug in the hardware only to find out the PSU is defective and possibly damage something else.

The thing is my PSU is about 4-4.5 years old... So it's not exactly new either, but at least I know this one is working.

Signatures don't show up on the mobile app (or maybe they do and I just disabled them :shrug:)

The PSU should be replaced in my opinion. evga G2 series are the go-to pick, as caddi daddi mentioned, though supplies are getting better in terms of quality nowadays, so there are many other good options for a little bit less.

StealthExtreme were MEH back in the day. If you have another PSU swap it out and test it on that system before you buy another.

So do you think the PSU is damaged too?

I could pull out my PSU and plug it into his system but all that would do is verify if his CPU, motherboard, and/or RAM is dead. I don't really want to plug his PSU on my system in case it is defective and ends up damaging my components.

How do I verify that the PSU is not defective?

So do you think the PSU is damaged too?

I could pull out my PSU and plug it into his system but all that would do is verify if his CPU, motherboard, and/or RAM is dead. I don't really want to plug his PSU on my system in case it is defective and ends up damaging my components.

How do I verify that the PSU is not defective?
As I said above, swap out a known good PSU into YOUR system. Do NOT swap a questionable PSU into another machine.

I don't have a multimeter and I don't think I know what is "jumping" the system.

I only have two PSUs and two computers. EarthDog, you are suggesting I plug in MY PSU (which I know is good) into his system (which is dead). If I turn his system on and I still get the symptoms named above, then I've just verified that his system is, indeed, dead. Maybe it's the motherboard, maybe the CPU, maybe the RAM. I've no interest in buying replacements for them. So now, I've confirmed his system is dead. But how do I confirm if his PSU is still good or should be replaced as well?

Since you don't have a multimeter, take the PSU from the working system and use it in the system that isn't working.
If it works, the other PSU is dead. If it doesn't, the other PSU is likely just fine and the issue lies elsewhere.

Since you don't have a multimeter, take the PSU from the working system and use it in the system that isn't working.
If it works, the other PSU is dead. If it doesn't, the other PSU is likely just fine and the issue lies elsewhere.

That's what I'm saying. If it doesn't work, the other PSU might be fine... or it might not be. Is there any way to test the other PSU to check whether it's fine or not.... aside from the multimeter?

I'm not sure we can break it down any different...

If that system works with a know good psu, it's clear the psu is bad. If it doesn't work, then something else is wrong. Not much you can do to test the other parts without others to swap in and out.

That's what I'm saying. If it doesn't work, the other PSU might be fine... or it might not be. Is there any way to test the other PSU to check whether it's fine or not.... aside from the multimeter?

No, the only options are multimeter or test with a different unit.

Why spend the money on that when you can spend less for a multimeter?

The answer is both simple and simplistic. Meaning that the device I list is easy to use. I don't have to find a jumper wire, locate where the jumper goes then stick probes into varying pins. I just plug the appropriate cables into the device and I get a digital read-out with my results. Easy peasy as simple as you please.

The answer is both simple and simplistic. Meaning that the device I list is easy to use. I don't have to find a jumper wire, locate where the jumper goes then stick probes into varying pins. I just plug the appropriate cables into the device and I get a digital read-out with my results. Easy peasy as simple as you please.

Just to play Devil's Advocate:
You can use a multimeter for things other than testing a PSU, while saving money.
Jumping the PSU can be done with a paperclip, and it is something literally anyone can do with a good guide (which there are a ton of).

Back