• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G3258 and windows 10 fixed yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignick

I just bought a g3258 and a z97 mobo to build my son a rig. I've been out of the game a while and I just dont want to have any issues. My learning curve is going to be big enough with new bios and ssd's etc. If it requires a dll change after disabling cores and all the hoops I just read about today. He might be using windows 7. Anyone recently build a g3258 with windows 10?

If it's not fixed im just gonna load win 7. I really dont want to "fix" something thats brand new.

Your avatar is very strange :-/

I have a build with a G3258 and Windows 10. I haven't experienced any issues outside of Battlefront, which requires a hack in order to run at all on the G3258 (or any CPU with less than 4 threads).

Yes it is ninja. It's been a while since I made that. It's been there since 05' .I might change it wjen I get time. I remember either selling you a D805 processor or buying one from you? Maybe some ram?

I'll be darned! November 2006 according to heatware. Can't say I recall it even a little bit, but it appears it went well :D

You could always just get Windows 7 if you're worried about issues. All 7 and 8 copies have a free upgrade to 10. Makes future clean installs a little trickier, though. :thup:

Ive never piggy backed upgrades. To messy, Ive only ever done clean installs. Problem is a windows dll file in 10 prevents the chip from working. And if you do get it working they say it wont overclock. Maybe its fixed now. Im gonna try to install 10 and any hicups and 7 pro 64 bit is getting installed.

Im gonna try to install 10 and any hicups and 7 pro 64 bit is getting installed.
If you are going to bother installing it, why not follow the instructions I posted? Seems like that will work, period, whereas you are risking doing it and having to roll back. I would take the extra time up front to get it to work, and if not roll back.

Mine's working well in 10, overclocked to 4.5 :shrug:

I did swap the chip in, replacing an i7, however. So, the i7 was running it when 10 was initially installed (an upgrade, I think). Maybe a subsequent Windows update fixed the issue, so I just never experienced the problem as I swapped my Pentium in after the fact?

EDIT: Just read the link ED posted above. It does appear I may have avoided the issue by swapping in the Pentium post-upgrade. The link also seems to indicate that the problem is during an upgrade, so you may not experience it, clean-installing.

We shall see, I'm going to install the latest version. Gonna make 10 work one way or the other.

I also have a system build with the Intel G3258 and Windows 10 Pro 64bit and no issues there as well runs great.

I did swap the chip in, replacing an i7, however. So, the i7 was running it when 10 was initially installed (an upgrade, I think). Maybe a subsequent Windows update fixed the issue, so I just never experienced the problem as I swapped my Pentium in after the fact?

I do think you are completely right with that one. I had my G3258 at 4.2 GHz under Win 8.1 for the longest time, because I couldn't overclock if I upgraded (I never let the overclock go while doing the upgrade, so the shift to Win 10 never worked). Anyway, at one point, for whatever reason, my overclock no longer worked, so I had no reason not to upgrade. Now that I am at the stock 3.2GHz, everything is working perfectly. I'm sure that had I used a different chip, or did a fresh install, overclocking would not be a problem whatsoever.

Also, for the record, the G3258 is a real trooper when it's overclocked. When at 4.0GHz or higher, this little chip can compete with most of its bigger brothers, no problem. When paired with a good GPU, you can have yourself quite the gaming rig for your money.

There are a couple titles out that REQUIRE 4 threads. So while it will be ok for most, I wouldn't build a gaming machines without 4 threads, and preferably 4 physical cores for those threads.

Ive never piggy backed upgrades. To messy, Ive only ever done clean installs. Problem is a windows dll file in 10 prevents the chip from working. And if you do get it working they say it wont overclock. Maybe its fixed now. Im gonna try to install 10 and any hicups and 7 pro 64 bit is getting installed.

I've done 4 different laptops here at home. The upgrade works just fine.

Unless you want to play Battlefront ;)

Have you tried overclocking again now that you've upgraded?

Not yet. I was going to try overclocking today, actually. If it doesn't work, I am going to wait for a bit, because there is a fix, but it's slightly hacky :sn: . One has to delete a file or two, and then everything works perfect. But, I plan on upgrading to an i5 4690k at some point, and then those two file-deletes wouldn't be necessary. I don't want to have to delete anything I don't have to, because I don't know what that could do. I'll let you guys know.

No idea what workaround you're talking about or if it's necessary (I know it wasn't for me), but you could always just relocate the files instead of deleting them. Then you have them for restore later.

Well, no workaround needed, I guess. I've overclocked my G3258 to 3.5GHz now, just to make sure the process would work, and I'm running a Prime95 test. I'll go higher later, obviously. Anyway, I guess that the issue is only during the actual upgrade from 7/8.1 to 10. Once you're set and ready to go with Win 10, no problems. huh :eh?:

Back