• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC rig OC options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nelson753

Hello guys,

I just want a bit of advice on overclocking my system for better performance while gaming etc. I play alot of Flight Simulator and want to know if i can increase performance, FPS etc. I have watched a few OC vids but after trying it myself the system either crashes, freezes, sometimes does not boot/restart at all so i've stopped and thought to query with the pro's. With my ASUS mobo it allows me to auto tune/OC which takes the CPU to 4635 with a 103.00 base clock but keeps the voltage settings as 1.456 and AUTO. I have read that you shouldn't go higher than 1.450 with voltage and i've also read that my system components should be able to achieve great things. I have seen youtubers achieve 4.8GHz with a similar CPU and GPU to mine. Please let me know any guides, suggestions considering my specs.

Thank you

My PC specs is as follows:
Windows 10
Intel i7 6700K Skylake @ 4.00GHz
Asus Maximus Extreme VIII mobo
MSI GTX 980 TI
16GB RAM @ 3000MHz
Corsair H110 GTX Water cooling

Wow did you blow your wad on that motherboard... yikes...you plan on using liquid nitrogen?

Try setting 1.4v and 4.5ghz.. see if that works. If it does, lower the voltage, rinse and repeat. The goal is to reach a specific clockspeed with the lowest voltage to be stable.

Lol yeah i saved quite a bit for this rig and very happy with it! Just need to explore the true power of it without blowing anything up.

I want to reach and stablise CPU @ 4.7GHz.

You could have saved $200+ by getting an appropriate motherboard for your uses. Oh well, that is in the past. :)

Let us know how the overclocking goes! :)

Looks good at 4.5GHz @ 1.4v. Temps normal too. Going to try 4.6GHz at same voltage and see how it goes. If stable then will reduce voltage. One other thing, i use HWmonitor to show core temps when stress testing. Now with my mobo i have the ROG panel which also shows the cpu temp. Previous stress testing at higher frequencies showed core temps in the 80's region where as my front panel showed it as 60-70 degrees. I'm not too sure what to go with?

I use Realtemp and don't worry about the rest. Great application, HWmonitor, but TMI to me as most people ask questions like this...

If you need to after you have everything else stabilized ram isn't always the easiest thing to play with and will corrupt an OS pretty quickly. You can also up the cache multiplier a bit if you want. It's tied to the CPU voltage so it can cause instabilities but should be good for a couple hundred without issue.

Ok so 4.6GHz @ 1.4v = no problems
4.7GHz @ 1.4v caused a blue screen/crash 8 mins into stress test

I amended the voltage to 1.42 with CPU @ 4.7GHz and testing went fine with temps being around mid 70's most of the time and core max temps were 86, 83, 81, 82 degrees.

Last edited:
you should be fine with flight sim x at around 4.8.
I play it on a 4790k rig at 4.8 and it's fine and your cpu should have higher throughput at the same clock.
dorking with the ram will gain you a grand total of ZERO in game, so don't bother with it.

Caddi i wish i could get it to 4.8GHz but I'm having a tough time atm. When attempting higher OC my system seems to freeze at restarts and shows 55 on the mobo. I have to hold the power down and manually start up at times where boot screen then says "overclocking failed". Atm i' stress testing 4.7GHz @ 1.41v and so far so good. Temps range from late 70's to early 80's. Max temps so far 84, 85, 80, 80 degrees.

Please provide me with any tips on getting my rig to a stable 4.8GHz. Do you still think i can do it based on the above temps.

Also, on cpu-z my core voltage when stress testing shows 1.440-1.456 even though i set it to 1.410 on the bios. Is this normal?

Caddi i wish i could get it to 4.8GHz but I'm having a tough time atm. When attempting higher OC my system seems to freeze at restarts and shows 55 on the mobo. I have to hold the power down and manually start up at times where boot screen then says "overclocking failed". Atm i' stress testing 4.7GHz @ 1.41v and so far so good. Temps range from late 70's to early 80's. Max temps so far 84, 85, 80, 80 degrees.

Please provide me with any tips on getting my rig to a stable 4.8GHz. Do you still think i can do it based on the above temps.

Also, on cpu-z my core voltage when stress testing shows 1.440-1.456 even though i set it to 1.410 on the bios. Is this normal?
CD is running a i7-4970k your 6700k is about the same clock for clock at 4.7 vs 4.8. Even if he was running a 6700k not all processors are the same and each will Oc differently on X motherboard with X ram.

4.7 is not too shabby, 100 mhz isn;t going to make a huge difference.

Back