• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling beginner, [help]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SabejiThePirate

Registered
Ok so this will be my very first water cooling build I have done research and believe I have everything I need and the right things. But to save me time and money I want to make sure.
I will be going into CPU, GPU, and motherboard. I would like to keep the case I have but if I need a new case I can get one.
I saw using colored liquid could cause problems such as blockage. But if I keep my eyes on it and switch the liquid out every 3 months or so would it be ok?

I hope I am giving you all the info needed. like I said never did this before...

Items in my list to buy
Reservoir/pump combo = XSPC DDC Photon (LINK)

Radiator = Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper (LINK)

CPU cooler = Phobya CPU-Cooler UC-1 Extreme, Intel, Brass Edition (LINK)

Fitting = Rigid Revolver (LINK)

Fans = Thermaltake Riing 12 Series (LINK)

Tubing = PrimoChilll 1/2in. Rigid Acrylic Tube (LINK)

My setup
GPU = ASUS GeForce GTX 980 POSEIDON-GTX980 (LINK)
Motherboard = ROG Maximus V Formula (LINK)
Case = NZXT S340 Matte Black/Red Steel (LINK)
CPU = Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 (LINK)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! My concern is the fittings that you chose, which is for rigid tubing and the tubing is soft... they're not compatible. This is one of the biggest things I had to deal with when choosing my parts as well. Go the performance-pcs.com and look thru their fittings...and look at the "Additional Information" tab and it will say what its for. This helped me a lot to see the differences between the various types.

So, you are going to cool the CPU, GPU, and motherboard with a single 2x120mm radiator?

First, I wouldn't bother with the motherboard. It looks nice, but that is about all it does. Second, you are cooling over 200W worth. I would go 3x120mm for best results (quiet operation and good temps).

Welcome to the forum! My concern is the fittings that you chose, which is for rigid tubing and the tubing is soft... they're not compatible. This is one of the biggest things I had to deal with when choosing my parts as well. Go the performance-pcs.com and look thru their fittings...and look at the "Additional Information" tab and it will say what its for. This helped me a lot to see the differences between the various types.

Oh I guess I should have checked my list, I originally was going to go with what was listed but decided to go with PrimoChilll 1/2in. Rigid Acrylic Tube to make it look better. I wont have any crazy bends so it shouldn't be a problem for me.
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you are going to cool the CPU, GPU, and motherboard with a single 2x120mm radiator?

First, I wouldn't bother with the motherboard. It looks nice, but that is about all it does. Second, you are cooling over 200W worth. I would go 3x120mm for best results (quiet operation and good temps).

I was thinking I should go with 3x120mm only problem is it wont fit in my case so I would have to get a new case too.
I figured the motherboard would manly be for looks and wouldn't do much. with it already having watercooling integrated into it way not use it to make it look better. lol

You haven't listed what CPU you'll be using other than the socket type.

If you're looking to stick with that case, you could go with a 280mm but you'll have to run the fans at full blast and make sure the rad is 30 FPI. You'll be dumping loads of hot air though into the case since it would be positioned in the front but it wouldn't be ideal for a silent custom liquid cooling setup with low Delta temps.

Are you looking to ever go SLI down the road?

You haven't listed what CPU you'll be using other than the socket type.

If you're looking to stick with that case, you could go with a 280mm but you'll have to run the fans at full blast and make sure the rad is 30 FPI. You'll be dumping loads of hot air though into the case since it would be positioned in the front but it wouldn't be ideal for a silent custom liquid cooling setup with low Delta temps.

Are you looking to ever go SLI down the road?

Sorry it is a Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 (updated post)
I guess I'll go ahead and try and find another case, and get a bigger rad.

At some point I'm sure I'll get the itch to do SLI, and that by it's self would mean a bigger case.

If you truly believe you'll have 2 way SLI GPU's, find a case that can house at least 120.5mm worth of rads, that's if you're looking to go the silent route.

If you plan to integrate another GPU down the line, you are going to need more than 3x120mm as you will then be cooling 400W worth with 2 980's and a CPU. (165W ea. for GPUs, and 88W for CPU).

If you truly believe you'll have 2 way SLI GPU's, find a case that can house at least 120.5mm worth of rads, that's if you're looking to go the silent route.
If you plan to integrate another GPU down the line, you are going to need more than 3x120mm as you will then be cooling 400W worth with 2 980's and a CPU. (165W ea. for GPUs, and 88W for CPU).
Ok so I'll get a 360mm Radiator (link) and a Enthoo Series Primo case (link) That will be enough room for everything. as long as that radiator will keep it all cool. I can always add another one if need be because I'll have room in the case.

That is what I am saying... when you get another GPU and add it to the loop, 3x120mm (360mm) won't cut it.

Ok so I'll get a 360mm Radiator (link) and a Enthoo Series Primo case (link) That will be enough room for everything. as long as that radiator will keep it all cool. I can always add another one if need be because I'll have room in the case.

Not sure if I trust thermaltake when it comes to their water cooling line. Try looking at XSPC, Black Ice, Alpha Cool, EK, Swiftech radiators for example. They all make great radiators.

As for the case, thats a big case but if you wanted to go smaller and still have room for 120.5 rads to cool a CPU and 2 GPUs, have a look at the cube size case Corsair 540 air. Just giving you some cheaper options but the Primo case is much bigger and can handle way more than the one I've posted.

Back