• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few audio questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I'm getting a highly anticipated wii u game on the weekend, but I was devo to find out that the wii a) doesn't have optical output and 2) only supports LPCM for surround sound. I have a logitech z680 system that supports just about everything but LPCM. So, it looks like I'll be playing using pro-logic 2. What kind of loss in surround quality should I expect?

Also, the optical output on my tv is broken (the actual socket) - blu-tak used to be a (unreliable) fix for this, haven't used it in ages since everything I have has an optical out. Might have to use *ugh* the stereo analog out of the wii. With a short run (barely a metre) should I expect a noticeable degredation in quality vs optical from my tv?

And finally, this is unrelated, but I've always wondered - is accidentally plugging, and leaving in, a 3.5mm stereo cable in an output, plugged into another output, something that would cause damage to components? I've always been very fussy about checking things like this but have never known for sure whether it really matters or not.

Back