• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS4 and XBone: how much memory can be allocated as dedicated VRAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'd just like to know what is the max. VRAM a developer can request for their games on both platforms.

The Xbox One and PS4 both have 8 GB of unified RAM and both consoles allow game software to only use up to 5 GB of that with the remainder reserved for system software.

The Xbox One and PS4 both have 8 GB of unified RAM and both consoles allow game software to only use up to 5 GB of that with the remainder reserved for system software.

So the games developer can use that 5 GiB however they want? They could use 3 GiB for VRAM and the remaining 2 GiB for game code? Or vice-versa?

PS4: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory
XB1 is about the same as above.

I believe microsoft just started allowing developers to utilize an additional core than what was previously locked/allocated to the OS a few months ago.

That article says that only 4.5 GiB of PS4 memory is guaranteed to be available to video game developers, not 5 GiB.
I wonder why it's less?
4.5 GiB might not seem like too little -- unless you consider any and all VRAM requirements for a video game have to satisfied from that pool as well as game code and data.

Note the article was from 2013, so the numbers may be a little different now versus when that was written

PS4 gives 4.5GB to games + an additional 1GB that might be able to be used. Along with 6 Cores on the CPU can be used, 7th core was unlocked recently running at 1.6GHz.

Xbox One gives around 5GB to games + 32mb of Embedded Ram on the GPU. Again like the PS4, it had 6 Cores on the CPU to be used, but 7th core was unlocked recently. Also the speed was increased from 1.6Ghz to 1.73Ghz after launch via firm ware update.

Since release the ram to be used for games seems unchanged from anything out there for both consoles. The ram seems to be partially limiting the potential for some games.

PS4 gives 4.5GB to games + an additional 1GB that might be able to be used. Along with 6 Cores on the CPU can be used, 7th core was unlocked recently running at 1.6GHz.

Xbox One gives around 5GB to games + 32mb of Embedded Ram on the GPU. Again like the PS4, it had 6 Cores on the CPU to be used, but 7th core was unlocked recently. Also the speed was increased from 1.6Ghz to 1.73Ghz after launch via firm ware update.

Since release the ram to be used for games seems unchanged from anything out there for both consoles. The ram seems to be partially limiting the potential for some games.

I've read some articles that suggest the PS4 can't access all its memory at full GDDR5 speed -- that some access is gimped like on the GTX 970, though not for the same reasons.

I always wondered, what happens if your XBone or PS4 dies out of the warranty period? Are there places that will repair XBones and PS4's? Is it pretty cheap to have them repaired?

Back