• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Host Application has Stopped Working : Radeon Settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am of the school of thought that unless an update specifically breaks your system you SHOULD install all updates as offered. Now I may not install the latest updates immediately but I always get them installed within a few weeks at the most. I figure by that time if the update is bugged we will find out. At the very least I would be no more than say 1 month behind. A lot of the updates are very important to the functionality as well as security of your system. Even if its just a "home" PC you certainly want it running well and secure. I'll suggest you update your OS as far as getting the current updates. As far as Windows 10, its free at this point if nothing else grab your free copy and revert back to Win7. You'll at least have the free copy to use later should you decide to do so. Lastly I am an AMD fan and I know that sometimes their driver packages can be just down right miserable to deal with when they are buggy. I would try the latest updates and then see if the Crimson package will behave.

TC

Z

It's a shame and I wish we could be more helpful in figuring this out. I wanted to come back and post some more thoughts.

[-] Go into your device manager and look into your sound devices. Uninstall all the ones you are not using. Then take a look at all of your devices and check to make sure there aren't any operating on the same internal bus.

[-] In the device manager find your network adapter and in its properties go to the power management tab. There uncheck both boxes which say Allow this device to wake the computer and Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Some people claim, particularly in reference to online gaming, these settings conflict with AMD drivers.

[-] Go to your installed programs list in control panel. Check for the AMD Gaming Evolved app labeled as "Raptr" in control panel and make sure it didn't sneak an install on you. The overlay function of the app has been creating conflicts and crashing a lot of radeon settings for people on the AMD forums. If it's there get rid of it.

[-] My last thought would be if this has been happening since 15.12 then DDU and downgrade to 15.11 or 15.7 and wait for the next 16.3.x release.

Radeon Settings

So you're saying that maybe my Asus Xonar soundcard software may have conflict with the Crimson Software ?
That's strange if so. Your Sonic Studio is a soundcard software ?

Actually this has been happening for me since 15.12 Crimson. Now Im already on 16.3.1 BETA Driver and it's still happening, I didn't really bother with it anymore since it only will crash if I ever open up Radeon Settings.
But now the latest is 16.3.2 WHQL

But I wonder is it ok that we don't install that AMD HD Audio ?? Since I have speakers already.

Should be okay I would think. I haven't had any issues since I deleted Sonic Studio with Radeon Settings crashing. I am not going to uninstall the HDMI driver for my sound card though, I use this computer on a tv. So I can't tell you for sure it would work. I do use the Realtek digital output for my head phones so that's not the problem, just got the issue when sonic studio was loaded. Quick way to test it is let Settings crash, and if yours was like mine you would try to restart it and nothing would happen. I just started shutting down the programs running in the background until it would let me restart Radeon Settings. If I turned Sonic Studio back on, withing 3-10 minutes Settings would crash again. If you are having the same type of problem, could be a different program causing the issue. I'm like you I have had this problem for a while, it only started when I got a new mobo and processor (already had the card) and installed the programs that came on the driver disc of the board. Just took me a little while to put 2 and 2 together. I hope it helps, I know this is more of a work around than a fix for some, but it might keep people from uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers needlessly.

It's a shame and I wish we could be more helpful in figuring this out. I wanted to come back and post some more thoughts.

[-] Go into your device manager and look into your sound devices. Uninstall all the ones you are not using. Then take a look at all of your devices and check to make sure there aren't any operating on the same internal bus.

[-] In the device manager find your network adapter and in its properties go to the power management tab. There uncheck both boxes which say Allow this device to wake the computer and Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Some people claim, particularly in reference to online gaming, these settings conflict with AMD drivers.

[-] Go to your installed programs list in control panel. Check for the AMD Gaming Evolved app labeled as "Raptr" in control panel and make sure it didn't sneak an install on you. The overlay function of the app has been creating conflicts and crashing a lot of radeon settings for people on the AMD forums. If it's there get rid of it.

[-] My last thought would be if this has been happening since 15.12 then DDU and downgrade to 15.11 or 15.7 and wait for the next 16.3.x release.

This is some good info and advice maybe I will try it.

I am of the school of thought that unless an update specifically breaks your system you SHOULD install all updates as offered. Now I may not install the latest updates immediately but I always get them installed within a few weeks at the most. I figure by that time if the update is bugged we will find out. At the very least I would be no more than say 1 month behind. A lot of the updates are very important to the functionality as well as security of your system. Even if its just a "home" PC you certainly want it running well and secure. I'll suggest you update your OS as far as getting the current updates. As far as Windows 10, its free at this point if nothing else grab your free copy and revert back to Win7. You'll at least have the free copy to use later should you decide to do so. Lastly I am an AMD fan and I know that sometimes their driver packages can be just down right miserable to deal with when they are buggy. I would try the latest updates and then see if the Crimson package will behave.

TC

Z

Unfortunately I've updated all my Windows updates, I didn't even install the HD Audio, Drag and Drop something, ACP and Raptr all the unnecessary stuffs, still no luck. The Radeon Settings still crashes SOMETIMES.What's worst now the FRTC feature it started to get buggy after restarting my PC the settings are still intact but it doesn't work. The FPS won't be retrain during games I have to set it again to get it working sometime doesn't even work have to do it multiple times.

I'm now using the latest Driver as well 16.4.1 BETA.

I wonder am I the only one facing these iasues. In starting to doubt its my PC at fault rather lately these new Drivers are really buggy. Actually this is my first time facing so much issues with AMD Driver 😥

So I was able to find this and disable this.

But for this one, there are tons ! Im not sure which to disable / uninstall...I worry I may end up uninstalling something important...but Im using my Asus Xonar DG soundcard for sound.
I've attached a screenshot for this.

And I've double confirm that AMD Gaming Evolved App isn't installed on my system.

Device Manager.jpg

I'm sorry but I can't see that screenshot. At any rate don't worry about uninstalling the sound devices just disable the ones you aren't using.

If you're not sure disable them one by one while playing a test sound in between each until you don't hear a sound anymore. Start at the top of the list, disable it and play a test sound. Still hear a sound? Then disable the next one and play another test sound.

Repeat until you don't hear a sound, that is the sound device the system is using. Re-enable that one and disable any other devices underneath it - assuming they aren't playing sounds.

I'm also with Zuzz in that you want your OS fully updated and working properly since updates provide more than just security. A lot resolve conflicts with third party applications as well as stabilize core OS kernel files and settings.

In all honesty you really shouldn't be having this much problems with radeon settings so it's time to check the integrity of the OS. In an elevated dos prompt do a sfc /scannow command. If windows resource protection finds any corrupt files - even if it tells you it successfully repaired them - then it's time to do a clean reinstall.

If you need to reinstall windows you should delete the partition, recreate it, reformat it with the win installer's quick format to give it a file system and then exit out of the install to do a dos full format wiping the drive clean sector by sector.

I'm sorry but I can't see that screenshot. At any rate don't worry about uninstalling the sound devices just disable the ones you aren't using.

If you're not sure disable them one by one while playing a test sound in between each until you don't hear a sound anymore. Start at the top of the list, disable it and play a test sound. Still hear a sound? Then disable the next one and play another test sound.

Repeat until you don't hear a sound, that is the sound device the system is using. Re-enable that one and disable any other devices underneath it - assuming they aren't playing sounds.

I'm also with Zuzz in that you want your OS fully updated and working properly since updates provide more than just security. A lot resolve conflicts with third party applications as well as stabilize core OS kernel files and settings.

In all honesty you really shouldn't be having this much problems with radeon settings so it's time to check the integrity of the OS. In an elevated dos prompt do a sfc /scannow command. If windows resource protection finds any corrupt files - even if it tells you it successfully repaired them - then it's time to do a clean reinstall.

If you need to reinstall windows you should delete the partition, recreate it, reformat it with the win installer's quick format to give it a file system and then exit out of the install to do a dos full format wiping the drive clean sector by sector.

Ok done. Disabled the Microsoft HD Audio, sound still playing since Im using my ASUS Xonar soundcard.
I did the sfc /scannow, no violations found mentioned by the cmd.
Now only hope for the best.

But the only thing that really annoyed me now is the FRTC no longer working properly for me =(
Sine after 16.3.1 BETA...
Now I have to use RivaTunerStatisctic to cap my FPS

But the only thing that really annoyed me now is the FRTC no longer working properly for me =(
Sine after 16.3.1 BETA...
Now I have to use RivaTunerStatisctic to cap my FPS
Avoid using third party programs for controlling framerate and other gpu functions.

At the time of this 16.4.1 has been released so I would go ahead and try that and see if radeon settings will cooperate.

Avoid using third party programs for controlling framerate and other gpu functions.

At the time of this 16.4.1 has been released so I would go ahead and try that and see if radeon settings will cooperate.

Im using 16.4.1 BETA. Even after doing all the solutions mentioned Im still getting the crash and FRTC still not working properly...
O well, can't do much. As long it's not BSOD or crashing on me while Im gaming I guess it's no big deal.
Only solution now is hope that my next Format / Fresh Install of Windows ( Most probably when Im updating to Windows 10 ) hope it be fix.
Im not sure should I be hoping this is an issue with AMD or is it that's my PC....either way isn't good...
But Thank You everyone for your afford in helping me. Your replies are all appreciated.

What's wrong with using 3rd Party GPU control ? I thought most people use them. I need it to set my Fan Curve etc.
And OSD to monitor my PC's activity.

If you are having GPU issues etc a 3rd party GPU control program could aggravate the problem. You want to eliminate as many possible problems as you can. I would be sure the OS is current and updated. Remove all GPU related software including drivers, Crimson and any 3rd party GPU software. Once the OS is updated and all the other previously mentioned has been done try installing only the 16.4.1 release version. I suspect you have a lot of clutter and what not there and it is causing the driver to not work properly. Lets see what happens. GL

TC
Z

Just registered so I can give some pointers....
I've been having the same 'radeon settings host application has stopped working' issue within a couple of minutes of login for both 16.4.1 and the newer 16.4.2 Crimson drivers. Ordinarily, it's not been an issue as games still work. Today I signed up to get both the Fallout 4 Creation Kit beta and the Paragon Beta from Epic games....
The Creation Kit would show it's screen and then bomb, to which I said 'A, it's a beta, and B, it's bethesda so C) it's a perpetual beta', but then the launcher for Paragon wouldn't start either, and this is merely a login type screen similar to Uplay or Origin. In the Creation Kit, it looked like it was bombing at the point where the render window is created, i.e. a Windowed DX Screen - I play all my games FullScreen Exclusive.

Thus I started looking at the Radeon issue, reinstalled the Crimson drivers, turned off HDMI audio, looked at my recent audio recording unit and it's drivers which I only got a couple of weeks ago.... all to no avail. The CreationKit would start in Safe mode, but not normal

So I started closing other launchers, like GOG and Origin... still no luck.

Then I quitted out of MSI Afterburner.... CreationKit started, EpicLauncher started. I turned off Afterburner from starting at Windows Login, restarted, and what do you know..... it's been 15 minutes since restart and my Radeon Settings hasn't fallen over either.

TL;DR - In my case it was MSI Afterburner. Pity - I use it with my G13 LCD Gamepad.

Last edited:
Back