• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Host Application has Stopped Working : Radeon Settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Updated to the latest 15.11.1 Beta Drivers still facing this crash error, anyone else here ??
Me and my friends too face it, and we are on Windows 7 as well. But I've seen some people on Windows 8.1 and even Windows 10 who are having this issue.
Some claimed that updating to Service Pack 1 fixes it, not for me. I've SP1 installed long before Crimson even released.
I've done clean uninstall and install even used DDU and even cleared the Shader Cache.

Can't think of any other solutions, also MSI AB isn't the cause, some people including my friend doesn't even have MSI AB.
Though I haven't confirm this but seems like the software only crashes whenever if I did open it and minimize, for example like the current session after turning on PC, if I do open the Radeon Settings and minimize it, I may get a crash after a few minutes or even longer maybe.
It didn't happen during in games though so far.

Anyone have any idea ? But AMD haven't address this issue though.

Sorry, but what is crashing? Crimson?

Seems to be working for me (R9 380x)...(W7 fully updated)

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems with it on Win10x64 running the latest as well.

Did you do a full uninstall + DDU clean prior to installing?

Last edited:
Seriously no one else having this issue ?
I think my crash is same as this.

https://community.amd.com/thread/191754

Here's the crash report in my Event Viewer.

Faulting application name: cnext.exe, version: 10.1.1.1522, time stamp: 0x565b64f0
Faulting module name: Qt5Qml.dll, version: 5.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x558c716c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000123a9c
Faulting process id: 0x46c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d12ffb3438d60d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\cnext.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Qt5Qml.dll
Report Id: 1a36464c-9bf0-11e5-bd5f-3085a9f61856

Still stable for me.

Well Im that sucks ==
What is it I did wrong lol ? Or does it only affect certain cards....
It's strange, why does Drivers act like so, back then when Catalyst Omega released, me and my friend both had 290X Vapor-X didn't OC nothing, we both are on Windows 7, he couldn't use the Omega Catalysts, he would get Black Screen whenever he install it, he had to use a BETA / older Driver.
While I was problem free.

Same goes for back then 14.2 I recall, I and some people will get BSOD whenever we watch YouTube, on the other hand my friend doesn't....I had to move to 14.6 BETA to fix the issue.
But I think I can confirm this current crash on Crimson, only happens whenever if I did open up the Radeon Settings and closing it. If I don't then it be fine.
Sometimes even if I did open it, it never crashes though.

By reading the crash report do you have any idea what's the cause or something ? I have no idea what Im reading anyways...

The only thing that jumps out to me is the obvious...

Whatever the crash is, it has to do with cnext.exe. Which appears to be some CAD program???
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=cnext.exe&es_th=1

What's a CAD program ??
Some sort of Graphic Design program ??
I don't have such thing running lol and my friends got this crash error as well, they too don't use any graphic design programs, their PC is way more simple, all he do with his PC is play DOTA2 and CS : GO LOL !!

Hmm so guys have no idea what's causing the crash Im getting?
I know sometimes it's hard to diagnose via on the Internet like so, but just asking. Sorry if it sounds annoying. :-/

I know this is probably a little late, but I was having the same problem with raedon settings stopping. I couldn't really find an answer online that worked so I just started closing down the programs that auto start when the computer boots and there is some sort of conflict with Sonic Studio. I noticed you have an Asus board so thought I would drop you a line. Once I turned sonic studio off I could restart Raedon settings and as long as I don't turn Sonic Studio back on, it won't stop. Not sure if this is your problem or not, but just thought I would share. I sent a request to Asus to see if they have any suggestions but I haven't got an answer yet. Hope it helps you or anyone else who might be having this problem. Running crimson 16.3.2 driver 16.150.2211.0 whql windows 10.

I have heard about people having issues with the 16.3.xx series of crimson, but it has worked alright for me.

However, I have read some strange solutions elsewhere so I thought I would share them:

[1] Do a DDU for your current driver installation. Afterwards start off by installing crimson 16.3 as a base and then install either 16.3.1 or 16.3.2 on top of it, but don't DDU the 16.3 package. Some people have claimed that 16.3.2 works better when it is installed as an update to 16.3...

[2] When your not gaming and doing menial tasks turn power efficiency on and turn off frame rate target control in your global settings. I read one or two people claiming this made a difference since some are claiming the 16.3 series is bugged.

I know this is probably a little late, but I was having the same problem with raedon settings stopping. I couldn't really find an answer online that worked so I just started closing down the programs that auto start when the computer boots and there is some sort of conflict with Sonic Studio. I noticed you have an Asus board so thought I would drop you a line. Once I turned sonic studio off I could restart Raedon settings and as long as I don't turn Sonic Studio back on, it won't stop. Not sure if this is your problem or not, but just thought I would share. I sent a request to Asus to see if they have any suggestions but I haven't got an answer yet. Hope it helps you or anyone else who might be having this problem. Running crimson 16.3.2 driver 16.150.2211.0 whql windows 10.

So you're saying that maybe my Asus Xonar soundcard software may have conflict with the Crimson Software ?
That's strange if so. Your Sonic Studio is a soundcard software ?

Actually this has been happening for me since 15.12 Crimson. Now Im already on 16.3.1 BETA Driver and it's still happening, I didn't really bother with it anymore since it only will crash if I ever open up Radeon Settings.
But now the latest is 16.3.2 WHQL

But I wonder is it ok that we don't install that AMD HD Audio ?? Since I have speakers already.

I have heard about people having issues with the 16.3.xx series of crimson, but it has worked alright for me.

However, I have read some strange solutions elsewhere so I thought I would share them:

[1] Do a DDU for your current driver installation. Afterwards start off by installing crimson 16.3 as a base and then install either 16.3.1 or 16.3.2 on top of it, but don't DDU the 16.3 package. Some people have claimed that 16.3.2 works better when it is installed as an update to 16.3...

[2] When your not gaming and doing menial tasks turn power efficiency on and turn off frame rate target control in your global settings. I read one or two people claiming this made a difference since some are claiming the 16.3 series is bugged.

Problem is, this has been happening to me since 15.12 Crimson Driver lol...all the way till now.

If you are not using the audio on the card DON'T INSTALL IT. Same goes for anything else. Don't install things for giggles. Only install if you need or will use it.

I have wrestled with the 16.3 beta package and 16.3.1 was a mess for me. The only way it would install proper was if I installed it over top of the previous version. If I totally cleaned it out with DDU I could NOT install 16.3.1 as a stand alone. 16.3.1 had to be installed(at least for my set up) as an update. Fast forward a week and 16.3.2 WQHL drivers come out. As I normally do, I did the whole DDU thing and flushed out the old drivers and did a clean fresh install of 16.3.2 and all went perfectly. No more problems with the Crimson app or the Settings app suddenly stopping. Also as some have suggested you may have to run DDU more than just once. And of course always run it in 'Safe Mode".

TC

Z

I have wrestled with the 16.3 beta package and 16.3.1 was a mess for me. The only way it would install proper was if I installed it over top of the previous version. If I totally cleaned it out with DDU I could NOT install 16.3.1 as a stand alone. 16.3.1 had to be installed(at least for my set up) as an update. Fast forward a week and 16.3.2 WQHL drivers come out. As I normally do, I did the whole DDU thing and flushed out the old drivers and did a clean fresh install of 16.3.2 and all went perfectly. No more problems with the Crimson app or the Settings app suddenly stopping. Also as some have suggested you may have to run DDU more than just once. And of course always run it in 'Safe Mode".

TC

Z

Sadly still not working for me. So I decided to update from 16.3.1 BETA to the latest 16.3.2 WHQL driver.
I uninstalled it like usual, used DDU in Safe Mode TWICE, installed the latest 16.3.2 WHQL driver and I didn't even install the HD Audio, ACP and Drag and Drop something something, just the Vital stuffs.

And again today the Radeon Settings crashing on me. Basically it's not fix for me at least. I think there's something conflict with it, which I have no idea what and neither does AMD, I did asked them before, so far the solution is no fix.
I guess Im plague with this issue till maybe I have a new PC or upgrade to Windows 10 or whatever. But thankfully it's nothing serious. As mentioned many times before, it only SOMETIMES crashes IF I do open up the Radeon Settings and minimize it.
If I don't it won't get upset and crash on me.

Yes Im already on Windows 7 64-BIT SP 1 if anyone is going to ask.
BUT ! I didn't update my Windows for sometime now, I only updated it to SP 1, most of the updates I never bother with, based on my experience and the recent events.
Sometime the updates will literally break your PC or even some basically are kinda useless which doesn't improve anything or whatsoever instead it actually just causes your PC slow down etc.
So I don't bother with updating to the latest anymore now. Unlike before.

Do peopel still update their Windows regularly? I don't see the point. Some said it's for " security " purpose, but many told me if my PC is a Home based use, it doesn't matter. Since there isn't anything vital data etc to be stolen. Unlike Office / Corporate.

Back