• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bit of a cooling issue ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KharmaKazi

Registered
Hey guys

just after some advise please.

made my first custom loop, but similar to a post further down, the CPU is getting up to 100c really quick on stress tests with prime, real temp, core temp etc.
is sitting on 22-25c on idle. when ambient temps are around 18-20c and approx 30C when ambient temps are up.
direction of loop is res/pump in/pump out to rad/out of rad to CPU/ CPU to VRM/ then out of VRM to res in.
all parts were thoroughly cleaned including the rad b4 install.

i have tried remounting the CPU block" EK supremacy EVO nickel" using the EK paste that came with the block and also tried some grizzly kryonaut on the last mount.
pretty sure it's mounting ok ?

pump is working fine too "EK D5 Laing Vario at 4780rpm" flow is pretty good.
rad is a Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm White Special Edition with a set of 3 x Riing 120mm RGB fans pushing through it and out of the case
air flow in the case is pretty good too i think.

any suggestions how to fix this as it's now starting to do my head in.
thinking of disconnecting the VRM cooling to see how that goes, but would prefer not too :(

pic of the loop, can anyone see any problem with direction of loop etc ?
Comp2   5-12-15.jpg

You have the inlet in/out correct on the CPU block?

You have a silly overclock?

What was it like before you added the WCing? Temp-wise. Pull the block off the CPU, leave it in the loop and put a regular CPU cooler on it. Mebbe that will tell us something. What CPU also.

Thanks for the reply.

yep the in/out is correct on the block

no over clock at all, to scared atm with those temp issues.

haven't tried it with a CPU air cooler, was hoping i wouldn't have to, but looks like i will need to go out and buy one just to try it.

CPU is i7 6700k.

sorry but i'm a bit of a noob with voltages, i assume you mean CPU VCore, if so it a bit all over the place, from .9 to 1.3
here's a screenshot of SIV software, temps never really go over 50c with that software, just in core temp and real temp gets pretty hot...

Untitled.jpg

Sorry yes I did mean the Cpu Voltage. Under load the Gigabyte software reads 50c but with real temp or core temp read 100c? Just an FYI if you did have 2 different programs running at the same time they could be conflicting with one another and causing errant readings. The other issue maybe due to the Z170 being in it's infancy those programs may not be updated and are not reading the sensors correctly yet. IThe programmer of Real Temp is a forum member I'll Pm him and see if it's updated to support Skylake. Maybe try Hwmonitor "Non Pro" the latest one V 1.28 supports Skylake processors. Try running Aida 64 with Hwmonitor open and see what the temps are. If they go above 90c stop the test and post a screen shot of hwmonitor here, here's how to host a screen shot.
Capture4.PNG

I see you're referencing the other thread. So, is you're radiator blowing hot air when under load?

i wouldn't say hot, a little warm but not very warm either, rad isn't hot, hoses arn't hot, pump etc.

i have to turn off the Gigabyte app before i can use core temp/real temp etc, because yep they don't like being run together.

ok thanks for the advise, tried running Aida and HWMonitor and now i'm really worried i'm going to stuff this thing up.

Please see Screenshot :(

HWmonitor.jpg

Not sure if HWmonitor is reading the Cpu voltage correctly but if the Cpu is spiking to 1.8v that's your problem. Though, I have my reservations that it's an accurate reading. On ambient cooling 1.8v would likely lead to instant death of the chip. Make sure your board is updated to the latest BIOS, if not flash the newest BIOS on it and see if it helps.

i have the latest bios F6g.

looks like the Vcore reading in HWmonitor isn't correct for my cpu?

i changed the vcore setting in bios to manual and set to 1.245 and downloaded CPU Z for my board and it didn't go over 1.2 while stress testing.
temps are a little better since manually setting vcore in bios, but still pretty high. although saying that, the room the comps in is about 26c atm "42c outside"
at least the things not getting over 90c now :rolleyes:

another screen :

CPU Z Screen.jpg

Look at the Vcore on CPUZ and look at the one on HW. Different. You're on the new stuff so give it a little time for the software to get updated to your CPU line and the MB chipset. Just stick with the MB's software now till the 3rd party software gets updated. It is very possible that your MB was feeding more voltage on auto then it should have but my guess is they still need to do more BIOS updates as they will and don't think it really was feeding it 1.8v. :screwy:

Look at the Vcore on CPUZ and look at the one on HW. Different. You're on the new stuff so give it a little time for the software to get updated to your CPU line and the MB chipset. Just stick with the MB's software now till the 3rd party software gets updated. It is very possible that your MB was feeding more voltage on auto then it should have but my guess is they still need to do more BIOS updates as they will and don't think it really was feeding it 1.8v. :screwy:
Agreed. On my Z170 setup, HWmonitor readings for Cpu Voltage are about .2 V off for me, I use a Digital Multi meter to read the Cpu Voltage off the board read points. That said it does seem the board was overvolting the chip. This isn't the first time I've seen issues with these Z170 boards, it looks like a lot of these boards are needing BIOS updates just to run the processors at stock clocks correctly.

cheers for the advise guys.

temp in bios is 44c, temp in Gigabyte SIV software is 37c, temp in real temp is around 34-35c "sitting idle"
things have definitely improved since setting the core voltage manually, voltage atm is sitting at 1.2v in bios and also around the same in CPUz and SIV software.
temps on any of the programs aren't darting around so wildly or going up as high.
will start to over clock when feeling a bit more confident on these readings now. and also after my head space is recovered from all the hassles iv'e had with this build lol.

It seems there is a bit of growing pains with the Skylake architecture. Keep checking for BIOS updates and if I get a message back from the Real temp programmer about it being accurate or not I'll post back.

yeah, hope it's just that. just the voltage spiking thing worries me a bit on auto, if in fact it is a true reading ?
i will keep checking for BIOS updates.
i have tried real temp GT and it gives me similar readings to core temp it also shows my CPU info at the top where as core temp doesn't.
thanks for doing that.

Anytime. One thing to note is the Cpu does have a fail safe so if the cpu does actually go above where it should be, it will shut down.

Received a Pm back from the real temp programmer.

Here is his response:
The temp sensors have not changed so RealTemp and most other apps should be able to read them OK. I have heard that some Skylake sensors read too low when the CPU is lightly loaded or idle. That has been a common problem for many different Intel CPU models. The only purpose of these sensors has always been to control thermal throttling and thermal shut down so Intel only calibrates them for that purpose. They were never designed or intended to be used for accurate temperature monitoring. The RealTemp load meter and multiplier reporting is not working correctly on Skylake.

He also went on to say he is having a difficult time getting his hands on a Skylake processor in order to correct the issues.

Thanks again for the info Mandrake, and taking the time to find that out for me and others i really appreciate it. also eases my mind a bit now :)

been using the Gigabyte SIV software for monitoring now and it seems to be working well, and getting temps around what i thought i should be getting.
also helps that our weather has cooled down a bit here in the last few days.

screen when playing Project cars for a while the other night :

Project cars Temp Recording.jpg

I would assume the motherboards software would read the sensors correctly, so the temps look good. :thup:

Back