• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media server...can this be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigger2k16

Registered
I own an Asus RT-AC68U router, and lost my internet connection. Can I use ethernet cable to connect to my blueray player or TV so that I can stream the movies on my computer? If so, how?

Yes, it should work assuming your TV/bluray player supports dlna streaming. It should be able to see the other machine (your computer) on the network assuming you have the files shared/etc.

Ok, I've connected my computer via ethernet cable to the routers input port, then ran another ethernet cable to the bluray player---didnt work
Then I ran an ethernet cable directly from my computer to the bluray player and it still didnt work.

So how do I actually configure this? When I had internet it streamed fine, but now without internet its giving me fits.

PS---my 65" Vizio also has an ethernet connection if that helps

Also, when I try top login to the router now, I get an error message saying "Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

Last edited:
You don't plug anything but a modem connection into the routers WAN port. You should keep everything where it was - all your devices should stay on the LAN ports. With everything on the internal LAN the devices should all get local IP addresses and you should be able to see each other/ping each other.

My roomate disconnected the ethernet cable from the modem....

Here is how I have it setup now(if I understand you correctly):
Ethernet cable to the WAN port on the router and thats it. The bluray player detected the wireless connection but wont play anything. No other ethernet cables are plugged in to the router or bluray player

no, nothing plugged into WAN port of router.
plug computer, and bluray player into LAN ports

Ok, so I ran an ethernet cable from ym computer to a LAN port, then an ethernet cable to the bluray player through a LAN port. The bluray player says its configured correctly, but when I right-click on a movie I dont have the option to "play to" any device. What could I be missing?

Do you get an IP on your bluray player and on your PC - (I assume 192.168.1.***)?

Was that an option that you had before to 'play to' device? Did you not just previously browse to a file share before and select from there? Sorry I'm not sure how you were running your systems before.

Do you get an IP on your bluray player and on your PC - (I assume 192.168.1.***)?

Was that an option that you had before to 'play to' device? Did you not just previously browse to a file share before and select from there? Sorry I'm not sure how you were running your systems before.

Something happened. Suddenly the bluray player came up with 3 new icons: Network drive, Home Network and Network service. I went into the command promt and typed IPCONFIG, but I'm not sure what to do from here...but I can see progress!

When I streamed to the bluray player before, I could right clikc on a movie and play to the device

Inside the bluray setting it says the IP address is 192.168.1.232 with a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 ( 192.168.1.1 is also listed as the primary DNS on the bluray player setup screen)
The IPCONFIG lists 192.168.42.249 with a default gateway of 192.168.42.129

What do I do from here?

Last edited:
That's interesting that both are getting a different gateway. Generally they would/should both be 192.168.1.1

Do you have a static IP address set on the physical machine? If so, set it to DHCP and see if that resolves the IP back to a 192.168.1.* address. Is the bluray player a PC or is it a standard sony/samsung/lg bluray player that has dlna support?

That's interesting that both are getting a different gateway. Generally they would/should both be 192.168.1.1

Do you have a static IP address set on the physical machine? If so, set it to DHCP and see if that resolves the IP back to a 192.168.1.* address. Is the bluray player a PC or is it a standard sony/samsung/lg bluray player that has dlna support?

Its fixed! Thank you so much...all your guidance helped. The problem was my fault--when my roomate disconnected me from the internet I disabled that network connection. Once I enabled it again I can "play to" my bluray player. I'm watching a movie as we chat!!!

I've given thanks to all of you and really appreciate your help!!!!
Thank you SOOOOOOO much!!

No problem, happy to help!

Have a very happy holiday, and we hope to continue seeing you around the forums :)

Back