• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nortski

Hi guys, looking for a little help putting together a new build. I have a few parts purchased already but the minefield of motherboards has stalled me.

I currently have:
1x Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz CPU
1x MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
3x Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

I'm looking for a motherboard that will get the max out of the above components without breaking the bank.
My plan is to use 1 SSD for the operating system with the other 2 in a RAID 0 configuration. I will also be adding a 2nd GTX 970 gfx card to run in 2 way SLI in the future.

From what I've been reading, the Asrock Z97 Extreme6 seems to be highly recommended.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

OH by the way, this is for gaming purposes!

1. You need ddr3 memory on that platform.
2. I wouldn't build on that platform with this budget. Go Skylake (6700k) and z170.
3. I also wouldn't Raid the drives, but just get a larger single one.

Also, what resolution are you gaming on? With SLI, are you running multiple monitors or 4k?

1. You need ddr3 memory on that platform.
2. I wouldn't build on that platform with this budget. Go Skylake (6700k) and z170.
3. I also wouldn't Raid the drives, but just get a larger single one.

Also, what resolution are you gaming on? With SLI, are you running multiple monitors or 4k?

For the price of 3 SSD drives you could get a 500GBish SSD drive and then a Standard Disk Hard drive with a TB of space for data you don't need +100MB per second read speeds.

I am assuming you already have the parts purchased that you listed, so here is my recommendation based off of that assumption.

As ED said that ddr4 is not gonna work so sell it or return it and pick up some ddr3.

As for the ssd's there will be no appreciable gains on a gaming build from a raid configuration so just use the one as your Windows install and then use the other 2 for storage. You could also sell one of the ssd and use the money to get a hdd, the wd blue 1 tb go for about 50 bucks.

As for the motherboard, yes the asrock you mentioned gets recommended a lot. You would probably be happy with it. Really any of the z97 boards will be good enough for gaming. If you are looking to do some hardcore overclocking or are looking for some specific features then you might want too get a little more picky. Otherwise pick the one that is in your price range and if your case has a window one you like to look at.

Argh! A newbie mistake! Luckily I have not opened any packaging yet so I should be able to exchange the memory.
Lockekey, how do you rate the Mushkin Blackline 16GB 2133 DDR?

Ram is ram is ram my friend. Just grab 2x4/8GB of DDR3 2133 CL9 that fits the look of your PC, is cheapest, and call it a day. :)

Back