• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have experience stacking 2 Cisco SG500 series switches together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi everyone. My office is expanding so ended up buying the same series of Cisco switch so we can stack a SG500-28 (current switch) and a SG500-52 (new switch on the way from Newegg). I understand I'll need some sort of SFP cable which is where I'm getting confused. The Admin PDF from Cisco says there's SFPH10GB-CU1M but do I need 1 or 2 of these cables or a separate SFP module to make this work? I'm definitely a network noob so please be patient with me. :D

Cisco PDF admin guide link for reference:
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td...ministration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf

The SFPH10GB-CUxM is just a hard wired copper SFP module. It looks as though to get a 5G stack speed, you'll need to use those, else you can use some MGBT1 modules, but you only get a 1G stack speed. You can use one, but I'd use two for redundancy (becomes a ring topology). Two does nothing for performance.

And just for clarification, the x in CUxM is the cable length in meters. Buy appropriately.

Back