• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting together a VERY tight/compact liquid cooling system, need suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fasontales

I'm going to be putting a miniITX mobo with an AMD APU inside the case of a Sega Dreamcast. I've put a couple computers inside small non-traditional cases before but this time I'll being stepping my game up. I want to fit a water cooler on the APU and overclock it. I feel like this forum is better suited for my topic rather than case modding because I'm only specifically trying to solve the issue of fitting a water cooler completely inside the case. My main goal is to mount everything successfully and you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it from the outside (little to no case modification)

MiniITX - 6.7" x 6.7"
Dreamcast - 7.5" x 7.5" (2.75" tall)

I believe my best bet is to mount the motherboard upside down at the top of the case, then rigging a radiator near the bottom of the case and cutting open the case bottom for a large intake fan over the radiator.

What are your suggestions?

@wagex

I'm open to closed loop coolers but for this project the cooler you suggested is just a little bit too big.

I can't see this fitting. The 2.75" height is going to be the killer. There's not going to be room for motherboard, CPU socket, pump, rad, and fan, even if you stacked them on top of each other (which, in itself would be difficult with tubing probably not allowing it).

I really only see this working with an external pump/rad/res.

Not to mention the fact that any water cooling option with a rad small enough to fit would give you worse performance than a nice low profile noctua or cryorig.

I would refocus, trying for high performance with the least noise possible (all in a tight space) :thup:

EDIT: Not sure if this is up-to-date, but...

http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

Last edited:
I really only see this working with an external pump/rad/res.

This +1

I believe a member of ours has done a PS3 liquid cooling loop before.

Nonetheless, you will want the smallest tubing possible with 90s going out the back of the case to a external rad, housing the pump and reservoir. Only way I see this being this clean. Won't be able to fit all that stuff inside that console case. No way.

Back