• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Package signed for but I never got it - who do I take this up with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still trying to figure out what happened, so at this point I'm just hoping to find out what my options are in case the worst turns out to be true.

During one of the black friday sales I ordered a set of HiFiMan HE400is from their store through Amazon. On Tuesday they went out for delivery, and since I was at work I couldn't stop by to sign for them and DHL sent me a text (my cell number is linked to my Amzon) saying they'll try again Wednesday. Wednesday morning I left a note on my door saying to leave it at my apartment's leasing office or I could be back around 6 to sign for it then.

So I watch the tracking, it goes out for delivery again, and this time it's delivered and signed for by "LO *name that obviously isn't mine*". Assuming the LO stands for Leasing Office, I swing by on my way back, and had two people looking around and they couldn't find it. Last night I checked back to see if they found anything, no dice (or headphones). The guy I talked to seemed to recognize the name of the person that signed it, though.

I just got off the phone with DHL and the CS rep I talked to couldn't even make out the signature, but offered to start a trace to check with the driver even though he didn't sound hopeful. So now I'm hoping it either A) turns up at the leasing office, B) DHL made a larger delivery to the leasing office who did a "one size fits all signature" and my tiny package (you laughed, admit it) was simply missed in the back of the truck, or C) I have a neighbor named Lo that will actually give it back.

So my question is, if DHL comes back and says it was signed for so it's no longer their problem, deal with it, what are my options? Go to HiFiMan and see if they can do anything on their end? Go running to Amazon? Or just accept that I lost $300?

You gave them permission for the leasing office to sign for you. You lose. Somebody in the office stole your s**t.

Thanks, but I haven't "lost" yet, will just take it up with the leasing office again if/when I hear back from DHL.

Edit: as a side note, went back through some old emails from the leasing office, there is someone who works there with the same name that I've spoken to before.

Edit #2: Been thinking about Scotts comment and I should probably make this clear. I really don't think anyone from the leasing office flat out stole it. I've been here for a year and a half, had things dropped off there before, more expensive and at least appearing more valuable than headphones (along with a good portion of the complex) and this is the first real problem I had. I've probably met the woman that signed for it, just bad with names, and I wouldn't say anyone that works there would go that far.

What does happen with them is I'm convinced they actually have worse communication skills than I do and don't talk to each other. Last year it took over a month for them to fully repair the carpet and drywall in one of the bedrooms after a pipe for the fire suppression system broke, because I had to bounce between several agents, each thinking the others had signed off on the contractor coming in.

I'm not entirely sure why I made this thread, part of me probably just needed to vent. But now that I had a chance to think my best bet is probably asking if the package was ever signed in/out (they do, or at least did, have a log book). IF DHL comes back saying yes, it was unloaded, I'll try to get it in writing then pass it to them. As bad as they are at sorting crap out they are fairly quick to admit they screwed up.

Last edited:
But now that I had a chance to think my best bet is probably asking if the package was ever signed in/out (they do, or at least did, have a log book). IF DHL comes back saying yes, it was unloaded, I'll try to get it in writing then pass it to them. As bad as they are at sorting crap out they are fairly quick to admit they screwed up.
Brilliant!

Gawd I hate DHL. Here's to hoping you get your package.

Thanks. Just more curious about what happened than anything. The biggest thing I dislike about DHL at this point is after the first failed delivery attempt, they sent me a text with the option to select a delivery date/time. But of course, not on the weekends and I couldn't specify the time of day during the week...

But anyway, they called me Monday to say they were checking with the local hub and would let me know what's going on, if anything, by 8PM Wednesday, so they have just over ah hour and a half.

Edit: Sorry, just saw your post S_P. If I don't hear from them tonight I'll give them a call in the morning.

Update 12-19: I missed a call from DHL earlier but they left a voice mail saying they contact the distribution center again and I should hear back by Monday.

Update 12-21: DHL called and they did ask the driver who said it was left at the leasing office. I asked for any sort of written statement and they forwarded the email chain, whcih I then past on to the leasing office asking if they have any idea where it is.

Last edited:
(New post to bump for the curious)

So I was up visiting friends/family in my home town over the past few weeks and played a lot of phone tag with a few people at the leasing office (after many unanswered emails and getting their head office involved). After swinging by yesterday to see if I can talk to the guy whose been calling face to face and finding he had already left, I emailed HiFiMan through Amazon, to see if they can contact DHL on their end, just on the off chance they just fed me some BS to get me to go away.

I just went over to the leasing office and...

rsp43rVh.jpg

No details. Just when I was telling the guy I was the one that had been calling about the package being signed for but no one there had seen it, he casually mentioned they had one for me. Didn't say if they had it the entire time, if DHL dropped it off today, nothing :shrug: All I care about is the insurance seal was unbroken and they still work.

Glad you finally got it sorted, hope they sound awesome for you :)

Yeah, over the past month I've just been getting all the more expensive stuff shipped to my parents house, since I'd rather wait an extra few weeks than deal with this again.

Thanks.
Good idea :)

Glad they "turned up" for you!

Just an update, not that anyone would care at this point.

Looks like something changed, either by me going to their HQ or enough people complaining. Had my first package dropped off at the leasing office since this thing went down, since it was a cheap package (couple DVI cables) I didn't care if it was lost or "left on the delivery truck". But now when it's first dropped off, I get an email from them saying I have a package. Then they went back to requiring a signature when we pick it up. May not help if it never manages to make it the 10 feet from the truck to the door, but it's a start.

Just an update, not that anyone would care at this point.

Looks like something changed, either by me going to their HQ or enough people complaining. Had my first package dropped off at the leasing office since this thing went down, since it was a cheap package (couple DVI cables) I didn't care if it was lost or "left on the delivery truck". But now when it's first dropped off, I get an email from them saying I have a package. Then they went back to requiring a signature when we pick it up. May not help if it never manages to make it the 10 feet from the truck to the door, but it's a start.

At least it's something eh? :thup:

"Package signed for but I never got it - who do I take this up with?"

Your neighbours

Apartment office receives the packages where he lives.

Yup, delivery guys here will either just leave it at my door or drop it off at the leasing office. Haven't had them leave it with a neighbor yet.

View attachment 175202

This picture goes with this thread I think. Hope you get your stuff from now on :)

Heh, actually the delivery guys here have at least a little decency. Something at least semi pricey that ships in it's own package like speakers or from an electronics site like Newegg, they'll automatically bring to the leasing office (DHL apparently the exception). But a light weight box from Amazon? Could be a $400 SSD, could be $7 worth of socks, so there's a chance they'll simply leave it at the door, depends on the driver and if the shipper requests a signature.

Heh, actually the delivery guys here have at least a little decency. Something at least semi pricey that ships in it's own package like speakers or from an electronics site like Newegg, they'll automatically bring to the leasing office (DHL apparently the exception). But a light weight box from Amazon? Could be a $400 SSD, could be $7 worth of socks, so there's a chance they'll simply leave it at the door, depends on the driver and if the shipper requests a signature.

Maybe it's because I have Prime, but every single thing I've ever ordered from Amazon has required a signature (though it is more often provided by my apartment office than me).

Back