• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help wiring illuminated rocker switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slimmpockets

I am attempting to modify a hair clipper to house an illuminated rocker switch. The switch has 3 pins but the clipper has only pos/neg wires. When I connect it to the switch depending on the order, either the switch lights up in the on and off position but does not turn the clipper on or it turns the clipper on but does not illuminate. I can't get it to do both. How do I get the switch to turn the clipper on and illuminate only when in the on position with only 2 wires? Any help is appreciated, Thanks

I think you're going to have to add a ground wire from power source to switch. Check out these wiring images

http://www.oznium.com/forum/topic18145[/QUOTE

Its the second image round rocker with built in led and 3 pins. I don't know exactly what I'd connect the added wire to. The black wire (ground I assume) comes from the inside of the cord and the red comes from inside the clipper. I will upload pics later today

from motor of clipper to switch:
red to ACC pin of switch
black to black of power source . this is how it should have been configured with the original switch. so you can probably leave that black wire alone

from power source to switch:
red to power pin of switch
black to ground pin of switch. this is the wire you'll need to add. splice into existing black wire.

IMG_20151213_152959703_HDR.jpg IMG_20151213_153027376.jpg this is what Im working with. There is another wire that goes from the cord directly to the motor it looks like but idk if that has anything to do with wiring the switch. Based on this set up, what do I have to do?

- - - Updated - - -

i want to see pics of this....

IMG_20151213_152959703_HDR.jpg IMG_20151213_153027376.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean by jumper the 2 pins? Attach a new wire from one to the other?

- - - Updated - - -

Tis quite simple....... Determine which pin lights the switch and which pin turns on the clipper....then jumper those two pins.
What do you mean by jumper the 2 pins? Attach a new wire from one to the other?

Ok great, thanks I will try that.

So I've tried every possible combination I can think of and the best results I got so far is the switch light on when the clipper is off and the light turns off when the clipper is turned on. Is it possible that's just the way the switch is - lights in reverse?

These are the combinations ive tried and their and results:

Red to pin 1, black to pin 2 - powers clipper/ no lights
Pin 1 jumped to pin 3 (gold) light works when clipper is off/ turns off when clipper is on
Pin 1 jumped to pin 2 turns clipper power on/no lights
Pin 2 jumped to pin 3 (gold) n/a

Red to 1 black to 3 - light works properly (off when off/on when on) / no power to clipper
Pin 1 to pin 2 light is on constant in on AND off position/ no clipper power
Pin 2 to pin 3 powers clipper/ light is on in off position, turns off when switched on
Pin 1 to pin 3 n/a

Red to 2, black to 3 - light is on constantly, no power to clipper
Pin 1 to pin 3 powers the clipper but turns the light off
Pin 2 to pin 3 power is on constant
Pin 1to pin 2 n/a

Red to 2 black to 1 - powers clipper/ no lights
Pin 1 to 3 light on when clipper is off, turns on when on
Pin 2 to 3 n/a

I've also tried this with multiple switches from different manufacturers so I am completely stumped at this point

This is a 120VAC motor...otherwise ignore post.

Red+black= clipper running - Correct!? (less switch)

You will need to add a wire for the light from the common(white) to the brass colored terminal.
the black and red go to the silver colored terminals. (reverse for light operation...Always on[when pluged in] or on when running)

Neon bulb as light in this style.

Example...first thing I found: mpja.com /download /30184swdata.pdf

was a light included in the original switch?
The Neon bulb could have been special for the shaver and run in series with
the motor AND it used as the current limiting device in the circuitry...so be careful.

Regards,
Mark

So I've tried every possible combination I can think of and the best results I got so far is the switch light on when the clipper is off and the light turns off when the clipper is turned on. Is it possible that's just the way the switch is - lights in reverse?

I've also tried this with multiple switches from different manufacturers so I am completely stumped at this point

Last edited:
Here is basicly how the switch works. You need to measure which 2 pins is the pass trough, that leaves the 3rd pin as negative for the light. Next you need to determine witch way you need to connect the pass trough.
If your device has grounding wire which should be marked by yellow green jacket atleast in europe, do not touch that one ever. That is not for grounding switches.
It could be that the switch is uni directional, in this case there is an actual switch on both sides of the passtrough and it won't matter which way you connect the pass trough.

nimetön.jpg

this is 120VAC see post 7, second picture, right bottom..........
Wiring is .power, switch, split. .light (then to added common) .to load

this is 120VAC see post 7, second picture, right bottom..........
Wiring is .power, switch, split. .light (then to added common) .to load

I don't uderstand that description but no matter if AC/DC the basics for switch connection are pretty much the same. Just replace + and - with the "LIVE" and "ZERO". I don't know the exact words in english so excuse me for that.
Do americans call them just live, ground and protective grounding ?

In US 120VAC/60Hz : wiring is
1. Hot
2. Common(current carrying ground)
3. Ground

To convert your(Waza's) drawing
left lead is Hot, center lead needs to go to common after light, right lead is load (note: load is wired to common)

Tyhe switch part is no problem ; The thing is getting the light to operate the way he wants.

Back