• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU's keep DYING! (non overclocked system, not cheapo psu's)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kujina

A friend's PC was powering up and then shutting down after a second, I diagnosed the problem to be the psu, a OCZ-ZX1000W-UN 1000W.

I fitted a new Corsair AX 760W last night and after about two hours the friend told me there was a bang and the PC went down and couldn't start again. I haven't looked at the computer yet but he tells me just the motherboard led's are lit up.

Now I'm pretty good with trouble shooting but I'd appreciate any pointers/techniques on figuring out what could be going on here! (I own a multi-meter if that could be utilised)

System Spec (not overclocked)
• X79 ROG Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Intel S2011 Asus Motherboard
• Intel Corei7-3930K Processor - 3.20GHz, SKT2011, 12MB Cache
• MSI Radeon R9 290X BF4 Edition – 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
• 4 x Corsair Memory Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 2133 MHz Quad Channel
OCZ-ZX1000W-UN 1000W psu - Corsair AX 760W

• XSPC AX360 Triple Fan Radiator
• XSPC AX240 Dual Fan Radiator
• EK-D5 Vario X-TOP - Plexi including Pump
• EK-FC R9-290X Backplate – Black
• EK-FC R9-290X DCII - Nickel (Original CSQ)
• EK-Bay Spin Resevoir – Plexi CSQ
• EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy – Nickel
• 3 x Corsair Air Series AF120 Led Blue Quiet Edition Dual Pack
• Mayhems Biocide
• Mayhems Fine Silver Coil
• 2 x Halen Mon Distilled Pure Filter Water 1 Litre
• Mayhems 0609224351181 - Mayhems Dye Ocean Blue 15ml

Checking the new Psu with the DMM is likely your next step. Since there is a custom loop in the Pc I would also look for leaks. If there are no signs of leakage and the new Psu is indeed dead then it seems there is definitely wrong with the system but I would think that a high quality Psu such as the AX 760 would have fail safe protection in it to keep it from failing from a short.

Hi Mandrake4565 thanks for the response, do you know of a link that has a procedure with a DMM and custom loop & looking for leaks, I could follow?

Looking for leaks shouldn't need any instructions...look for leaks and residue. Check around the barbs, and below them.

As far as the PSU that went bang... make sure it actually went bang. Test it in another system. How is the power in his house? New house or old? It may be dirty power... or something could be messed up with the rig. I assume the motherboard is using the risers and is off the back plate?

Did the guy reset the bios and power it off for a while and try again? Or is he just trying to hit the power button?

The house is probably about 40 years old so the wiring (UK 240v) cant be any older than that, but I have been told he does experience the power tripping fairly regularly (that didn't happen yesterday).

The computer has been used for at least several weeks before the initial psu/power problem, but I'm not sure if he bought it new or second hand.

As its all water cooled I'm anticipating it to be a bit of a pita to remove the motherboard and gfx card (if need be), I haven't dealt with water cooling before!

Sounds like dirty power/power surges....

I wouldn't imagine you have to move the motherboard to check anything. Just look at the barbs and below it. Look for liquid residue.

Sounds like dirty power/power surges....

I'd like to think that's the problem (he has a cyberpower UPS on the way) but he didn't mention anything else electronic going wrong such as his monitor etc.

I wouldn't imagine you have to move the motherboard to check anything. Just look at the barbs and below it. Look for liquid residue.

Thanks I will do with a bright lamp.

I tested the Corsair AX 760W supply with a modest core2duo motherboard and the leds on the motherboard do illuminate but it does not power on.

I could not find any signs of leaks or damaged components on the Asus X79 ROG Rampage IV motherboard.

Tomorrow the UPSand replacement power supply arrives.

Computers are much more susceptible to power issues than many other electronic devices. It's not odd at all if the computer is experiencing issues while nothing else is.

Also, X79 is tech from 2011, and was superseded by X99 about a year ago. I would put money on this is a used rig.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it's a possibility his MB has left the building with Elvis. I'm not saying it's the cause, but the effect of another problem.

On a side note: You would think that with the "Mayhems 0609224351181 - Mayhems Dye Ocean Blue 15ml" you would see that stuff if it was leaking out.

Go to Asus website and DL the user manual, somewhere around chapter 2.2.6 you will find a description on Onboard LEDs and Voltiminder LED II as well as a Debug table.

Have you figured out how to test your power supply with a DMM? Just plugging it into another MB is not a good idea.

Here are some YouTube vids that can help:

Vid 1

Vid 2

If your a reader:

Read 1

Read 2

Last edited:
Heres what happened end of last week, the replacement Corsair AX 760W arrived and I hooked it up, the motherboard leds lit up but the system did not power up despite several tries.

I decided to take the computer back to mine then took out the psu and tested it on another system and it was fine.

I then removed the X79 ROG Rampage IV motherboard put it on a worktop and just hooked up the psu and it powered up fine! I then put the mb back in its case and connected the base minimum and it was still powering up fine. I then kept hooking up all the other bits one by one (water cooling system, fans, case usb ports etc) and the system was fine and still is after a few days so far so I dont know what prevented it from initially powering up with the replacement Corsair AX 760W. The owner has had the pc connected to a UPS since having it back on Sunday.

Thank you everyone.

I had this issue recently with bad memory. I would suggest trying to remove one memory module at a time or just replace them. I discovered my self that it was one bad memory module on my system that caused it to shut down. I should be getting new memory next week some time.

Back