• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, I did it, I lost my virginity...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TZO2K15

...I just installed my first MoBo/CPU, and it's running magnificently! (Check my sig for rig) I was procrastinating the build due to apprehension, but I got over it, by realizing that I could trust no-one else with this, so like everything else that I learned in life, sometimes ya just gotta figure it out on your own, so with banged up knuckles and a lot of violent verbal outbursts, I was done.

So I finally did the upgrade, but I have two questions, I know I applied the coolant correctly, (Arctic Silver 5 ) but my temps flux between 35-40c when I'm normally putzin' around on my PC, and approx 60+ while playing borderlands 2 With PhysX on ultra and fallout 4 in diamond city/during battles, also my installed memory is 24 gbs, yet only has 16 available (My two 8gb sticks..) was this due to my install?

Out of the four slots with alt colors Black/Grey I placed my dual 8gb sticks in the first two slots, and my previous dual 4gb sticks in the remainder instead of alternating the positions as I did not want to go through the hassle of taking apart my monstrous CM V6 apart just to replace the dual 4gb sticks..Oh, yeah they're both Kingston Kingston HyperX 12GB Kit (3x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3+ Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

If it is due to conflicting types, well, no matter, as I plan to abuse my MoBo's 32 gbs anyways!

OH, And in closing for all the newbies like myself make sure you remember WHICH SATA slot your HDD with your OS resides, I forgot in my rush, and had to connect/reconnect the HDD/GPU Drive...(Yes, as far as I'm concerned it's a drive, as it dwarfs my HDD so that's what I'm calling it!) ;)

4GB in ether black or grey and 8GB in the other slots, the way your doing it now your miss matching the ram. Also it's not that hard to remove 1 fan to replace/install ram, I use that same cooler V6GT, no need to remove the cooler.

So I finally did the upgrade, but I have two questions, I know I applied the coolant correctly, (Arctic Silver 5 ) but my temps flux between 35-40c when I'm normally putzin' around on my PC, and approx 60+ while playing borderlands 2 With PhysX on ultra and fallout 4 in diamond city/during battles, also my installed memory is 24 gbs, yet only has 16 available (My two 8gb sticks..) was this due to my install?

Out of the four slots with alt colors Black/Grey I placed my dual 8gb sticks in the first two slots, and my previous dual 4gb sticks in the remainder instead of alternating the positions as I did not want to go through the hassle of taking apart my monstrous CM V6 apart just to replace the dual 4gb sticks..Oh, yeah they're both Kingston Kingston HyperX 12GB Kit (3x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3+ Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

If it is due to conflicting types, well, no matter, as I plan to abuse my MoBo's 32 gbs anyways!
Ignore the idle non load temps on these Fx processors, the temp sensors on these chips are inaccurate when the chip isn't under load and below 45c as stated by AMD. When I'm at idle my temps will move up and down at least 10c and sometimes read anywhere between 5 and 12c below ambient temperatures, which is impossible unless one is using sub ambient cooling which I am not. As I type this my temps are reading as low as 6c and high as 19c in a 22c room, again inaccurate and impossible. What I'd like to see is a screen shot of Hwmonitor under load, because if you're hitting 60c while gaming, that seems a bit high.

As far as the ram Whitehawk answered that, get each pair of sticks in matching ram slots Or pull the 4gb set and use the 8gb set, do you really need 12g of ram?

4GB in ether black or grey and 8GB in the other slots, the way your doing it now your miss matching the ram. Also it's not that hard to remove 1 fan to replace/install ram, I use that same cooler V6GT, no need to remove the cooler.

Thanks for responding and confirming this for me, that's what I thought...I'll give it a go.

Ignore the idle non load temps on these Fx processors, the temp sensors on these chips are inaccurate when the chip isn't under load and below 45c as stated by AMD. When I'm at idle my temps will move up and down at least 10c and sometimes read anywhere between 5 and 12c below ambient temperatures, which is impossible unless one is using sub ambient cooling which I am not. As I type this my temps are reading as low as 6c and high as 19c in a 22c room, again inaccurate and impossible. What I'd like to see is a screen shot of Hwmonitor under load, because if you're hitting 60c while gaming, that seems a bit high.

Thanks for the response! As far as temps, that does concern me as far as the 60c is concerned, I'll see what I can do about the screen-shot soon enough..

As far as the ram Whitehawk answered that, get each pair of sticks in matching ram slots Or pull the 4gb set and use the 8gb set, do you really need 12g of ram?

And as far as the RAM...Yes, I do need that extra 12 gb as I do a lot of 3D rendering of large complex scenes, (I still plan to max my RAM to 32) though admittedly, I don't need that much for gaming as 8gb is more than enough, but yeah, I've had scenes in some of my 3d programs that gobbled up 6-12 gb easy! (Vue for example, and the leak-heavy 3dsmax)

Back