• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4p work buffer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts

Here's my problem.

Years ago I set my work buffer for 3 days work. Single processor machines, not a problem, never has been. My 4p and 2p machines, could be an issue when the work servers go down. The 4p (64 cores total) is lucky to cache 6 hours of work, even then it's not enough to keep all cores working. The 2p (12 cores total) is about a day or so before it's out. I'd set it for 7 days, but I don't want 7 days worth of work in case of a power blip or crash. I currently just have the 2 machines crunching, so I guess I could bump the buffer...

Is this a Rosetta thing where there is a total amount of units sent to a particular machine? Or something on my end I'm missing?

May be unrelated. Sometimes completed units don't want to send out, and it has to be done manually. Mainly noticed it on the 2p, where I may find a couple dozen units "ready to report". For that machine it's common. However, sometimes the 4p will do it, and I've caught it where it only has a couple units left to crunch. I've gotten into the habit of checking on those rigs twice a day, though I shouldn't have to.

Both rigs are running Ubuntu 12.04, and the 4p also has TEAR'S optimized BOINC client to keep the cores fed. Both rigs are running stock clock Opterons, on Super-Micro boards.

Same issues ongoing, though I did set the work cache to 7 days locally on those machines. Didn't change anything, so I guess there is a machine limit. The sending problem is still there, doesn't matter if network activity is set to "always on" or network by preferences.

There is a limit based on your HD size which you can adjust. A 4p is going to use a lot of data so your HD has to be pretty big to allow 7 days worth of crunching.

Didn't even think of that, guess I'll go adjust how much HD space BOINC can use. It's a 250 gig drive, I would think that would be enough.

Thank you

I set the available for BOINC to 200 gig and the drive usage to 75% from the default 100g and 50%, doesn't seem like much has changed. Thinking about it, could be a machine limit. 64 cores, 12 hrs that's 108 work units. For 3 days I'm asking for 650. May be pushing it a little.

Just check disk usage. 25+ gig uses by BOINC, 125 gig available.

Last edited:
Back