• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply surges detected!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

Hi.
I have been away from the PC stuff for a long time, it's my finals and i don't get time for these stuff :( so i use my pc for casual gaming and browing and coding.

Today I was just normally playing HoTs on my break, then suddenly, my speaker makes weird noise and everything freezes. this has happened a few times before, barely.
So i pressed the restart button, it didn't work, i held the power button it didn't work either, so i turned the switch on my PSU off and on.
When I turned my PC on again it showed me the picture I attached.
b14dedd40a602f4172e8e97d02f068a64e9803c5c8e6c21c06b4068e6647ea7a.jpg
What am I supposed to do? am I going to spent money on my pc :|? because all i have is 60$ right now :D

First time I have ever seen that message. I never even knew a mobo had that capability.

Green GP650B-OC

Not a terrible PSU, though it seems to be a older PSU. Could be age that is causing it to fail?

You can probably get a PSU for $60 that will get you through this. A 500 watt PSU for the system you outline should be plenty adequate as long as it isn't a piece of junk that doesn't really put out the wattage it claims. Look for something on sale by EVGA or Corsair. Those two manufacturers are reputable and seem to frequently have units on sale on NewEgg. Are you in the USA? I certainly would not run that computer anymore until you can replace the PSU or you will risk frying the motherboard along with the PSU.

I'm with you Mpegger, never seen that kind of post message before or even heard of it.

=
You can probably get a PSU for $60 that will get you through this. A 500 watt PSU for the system you outline should be plenty adequate as long as it isn't a piece of junk that doesn't really put out the wattage it claims. Look for something on sale by EVGA or Corsair. Those two manufacturers are reputable and seem to frequently have units on sale on NewEgg. Are you in the USA? I certainly would not run that computer anymore until you can replace the PSU or you will risk frying the motherboard along with the PSU.

I'm with you Mpegger, never seen that kind of post message before or even heard of it.

weird, i guess a virus can't do that :| i will send my PSU for warranty as it has almost lifetime warranty :D (5 or 10 years if i remember correctly) i will sell it and get a antec, The reason i bought this is because i couldn't find anything else but recently a website has it! It's just about trusting the website :|

i think i should get a new case too as it took me 2 days to fit that psu inside it :D

How about you just come back for a recommendation, Antec isn't the best by any means.

Are you running a UPS?

How about you just come back for a recommendation, Antec isn't the best by any means.

Are you running a UPS?

I don't know what UPS is! googling gave me weird results.

and they also have corsair(and cooler master, a single model) i guess i will be buying corsair then, can you recommend me a model here :?

edit: I can also buy EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 80Plus Gold Power Supply and EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80Plus Gold Power Supply(they are expensive, like 131$)

also is this a psu fault for sure? i had power loss a few times long ago, maybe it damaged it! also i can send this one for warranty, but if it's not worth it i have no other choice :|

Last edited:
UPS = Uninterruptable Power Supply. As Atminside said, it's a big battery with DC to AC converter that provides some insurance time to be able to shut your computer down safely and in an orderly manner when the power goes out so you don't lose data. They may also have built in surge protectors. Speaking of surge protectors, it sounds like something you should have if you don't. And get a good one of at least 1000 joules.

UPS = Uninterruptable Power Supply. As Atminside said, it's a big battery with DC to AC converter that provides some insurance time to be able to shut your computer down safely and in an orderly manner when the power goes out so you don't lose data. They may also have built in surge protectors. Speaking of surge protectors, it sounds like something you should have if you don't. And get a good one of at least 1000 joules.

:O i don't think i do. they sound expensive!

And here's the website I'm going to buy from, it's in Persian. but I guess you can use the chrome translator!
http://lioncomputer.ir/category/327/پاور/

and it happened 2 times in a month, they were building a house nearby, they just cut it without giving any kinds of warnings :| but the last time it happened before that was like 5 years ago :) I don't think this is necessary!
also our light's start blinking (or dimming) when we turn on our microwave, can that be the cause too :? if that's dangerous i think we need to buy one of those UPSs :|

I dont think it is a PSU issue with that information given... I would buy a UPS before I bought a new PSU.

I think a UPS is a good investment, although at this point if it has only happened once and doesn't happen again I wouldn't be super worried about it.

I dont think it is a PSU issue with that information given... I would buy a UPS before I bought a new PSU.

With that particular message given, I'd be more inclined to believe it's the PSU over just dirty utility power. The (better) PSU is supposed to "clean up" dirty power before it's delivered to the system (ex, handle voltages from as low as 90VAC to as high as 140VAC, spikes, ripples, etc). For the motherboard itself to detect that something was awry with the power being delivered to it by the PSU, to me, says more about the PSU then the utility power.

And you want to get one with enough reserve to cover the power draw of your system in order to give you enough time to shutdown the computer properly should the power go out. It would be great if you could get a hold of a watt meter to test the power draw at idle of your system at the wall where it plugs in. Then get a UPS of say, twice that much capacity. If the system draws 250 watts at the wall, get at least a 500 watt UPS. One valuable thing about a UPS is that it will cover the situation where you don't have a total power out but the service is unstable and the lights are flickering. Those kind of situations can cause a reboot if you don't have a UPS. We get that a lot here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA where I live this time of year because of stormy weather.

They are supposed to, but, it cant because its so low/high, hence the message. He appears to have dirty house power so I would go UPS first to see if that can smooth things out better as that is what they are supposed to do as well and with the assistance of the battery versus a PSU that doesn't have one.

A good test would be a different, known good PSU if he has that laying around.

They are supposed to, but, it cant because its so low/high, hence the message. He appears to have dirty house power so I would go UPS first to see if that can smooth things out better as that is what they are supposed to do as well and with the assistance of the battery versus a PSU that doesn't have one.

A good test would be a different, known good PSU if he has that laying around.

I guess it's out power, because it is terrible in my country and out non-LED lights flicker when we turn on out microwave (which we do a lot :D)

and i have another green PSU on my closet :D it's not as decent as the one i have now but it's not terrible i guess, it just killed an hdd and a graphics card in 2 days :)

Which PSU killed the HDD and GPU in two days? The one you mention in the first post or the one in the closet? If the one in the closet is what you meant, I certainly would not use it again. Get solar panels, dude.

Back