• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965 BE not showing core temps anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackdragon1186

Registered
This isn't the normal question with unlocked core causing core temps to not show up. I have my old rig, Pheonom 965 running at 3.7 Throughout it's life I never had a problem seeing core temps. I haven't used the box in some time and just felt like messing with it again. Tossed a card I picked up in it to see how fallout 4 would run on it. I was wanting to push my oc back to where I had it when I had it on water, or close to it, but I need to monitor temps. No bios update has been done and now all of a sudden my core temps won't show up anymore. I've tried both windows 7 and 8.1. Socket temp works, just not core. Board is a biostar ta890fxe. Latest bios. The bios temp that it shows is only socket temp, it never showed core temps. Any idea? Maybe the board is just getting old? I bought it in 2010.

The 965 has no cores to unlock if it is not showing temps go into your bios and uncheck unlock cores.

I had forgotten about this. I'm aware there's nothing to unlock, which is what I had said. What I meant is from when I put this machine away to when I took it back out again, I'm unable to see core temps anymore.

Did you confirm that wasn't checked again? Perhaps the BIOS reset (dead battery)..

Sometimes its the simple things... :)

Some motherboards have mechanical core unlock switch. Check that. The only other thing I am aware of that could cause this apart from temp sensor failure in the CPU is having core unlock activated in bios.

Checked the battery with a dmm, still showed 3.05v. The mobo in question, Biostar TA890FXE doesn't have an unlock switch. (I had the check the manual to be sure :p ) The only other thing aside from what was mentioned of the internal sensor failing would possibly be old/dying caps? I haven't had a chance for a good look at the board, but could that possibly do it?

UHG! Biostar. AKA BioFlop or Biostop. I've killed a couple few in my time and in very short order I might add.

Bio-unlocking.

This should be in the bios. T-series tab right at the top. Be sure this is disabled and don't hit F6 on boot. Bios version A89FA-A3T / v02.61

If you have a newer version of this bios, and do not have the option; try and roll the bios back so you can have control of this function. While enabled, it will shut core temps off.

of the internal sensor failing would possibly be old/dying caps?

No. The sensor is located on the CPU for core temps. You have a board read out and all functionality besides core temp readings.

It's only one of two things here. A, the bios has core unlocking enabled for some reason. B, something is up on the software end of things.

Not sure how you are getting reported temps? Have you tried other programs? How about Coretemp? reads Only the cores.

UHG! Biostar. AKA BioFlop or Biostop. I've killed a couple few in my time and in very short order I might add.

Bio-unlocking.

This should be in the bios. T-series tab right at the top. Be sure this is disabled and don't hit F6 on boot. Bios version A89FA-A3T / v02.61

If you have a newer version of this bios, and do not have the option; try and roll the bios back so you can have control of this function. While enabled, it will shut core temps off.

No. The sensor is located on the CPU for core temps. You have a board read out and all functionality besides core temp readings.

It's only one of two things here. A, the bios has core unlocking enabled for some reason. B, something is up on the software end of things.

Not sure how you are getting reported temps? Have you tried other programs? How about Coretemp? reads Only the cores.

So I decided to pull the machine out again as I grabbed a PSU for it. And wouldn't you know it. The bio-unlocking was enabled. Temps work perfectly now. Yes, this is long overdue. But thank you!

Back