• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics card for my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opusbuild

Hi all,

Been a little while since my build and behind with all the latest tech. I am happy with my PC specs at the moment except for my graphics. I am still using HD4000 on-board graphics. I am doing a little more gaming with my PC now and HD4000 is just not cutting it at the moment. I am not a serious gamer, however I would like to play games at 1080p (not necessarily at max/ultra settings for all games). I am also looking at the option of upgrading to triple monitors for sim racing in the future. I am based in the UK so looking for good deals here.

I don't know if it realistic to spend around £100 for this sort of requirement. I am looking at the GTX 750 Ti as an option.
http://www.ebuyer.com/616904-zotac-...kwid=sSkLcfTld_dc&pcrid=51508054259&pkw=&pmt=

It might not be worth spending less than this for a GPU in terms of bang for buck, especially if I am looking at triple monitor options.

I was also considering the option of a second hand card, but of course this has it's risks and I am hoping for the card to keep me going for at least 2-3 years if possible.

Thanks everyone. As always I look forward to your input.

The problem, is you are planning on upgrading to 3 monitors. You can't get a budget card now and expect to play on it at 5760 X 1080 later. The 750Ti will not cut it with 3 screens, and barely cuts it with one @ 1080p (horsepower and lack of vRAM). If you are looking for triple monitor gaming, you are looking at a GTX 980 or AMD's equivilant like r9 390 or better.

The problem, is you are planning on upgrading to 3 monitors. You can't get a budget card now and expect to play on it at 5760 X 1080 later. The 750Ti will not cut it with 3 screens, and barely cuts it with one @ 1080p (horsepower and lack of vRAM). If you are looking for triple monitor gaming, you are looking at a GTX 980 or AMD's equivilant like r9 390 or better.

Thanks Earthdog, this makes complete sense. I can't justify spending that sort of money on a GPU at the moment. Right, so single monitor it is then. Could I do better than the 750Ti for that sort of budget?

I would look at a GTX 960 4GB for a decent 1080p gaming experience (its ~$199+ USD). It is likely more than your budget, but it also has a better chance of lasting 2-3 years. A 750Ti can barely play today's games at the settings you want, none the less 2 years+ down the road.

That, or go used... take a look in the Classifieds section here and see if there is anything that fits your budget.

Since you want to do sim racing it could be worth to invest into G-sync/Freesync and higher refresh rates. While 3 monitors is nice, one curved ultra wide could be enough too.
I agree with EarthDog that there is no room to skimp with 3 monitor setups, the horsepower needed to run those screens even sub 60FPS is around the 980/390 range.
You can always turn down the detail but at some point it starts being more of an annoyance than luxury.

I would look at a GTX 960 4GB for a decent 1080p gaming experience (its ~$199+ USD). It is likely more than your budget, but it also has a better chance of lasting 2-3 years. A 750Ti can barely play today's games at the settings you want, none the less 2 years+ down the road.

That, or go used... take a look in the Classifieds section here and see if there is anything that fits your budget.

Thanks, the GTX 960 looks to be about £160 here in the UK http://www.ebuyer.com/722277-gigaby...kwid=sC9TGeevq_dc&pcrid=51482416259&pkw=&pmt=

Since you want to do sim racing it could be worth to invest into G-sync/Freesync and higher refresh rates. While 3 monitors is nice, one curved ultra wide could be enough too.
I agree with EarthDog that there is no room to skimp with 3 monitor setups, the horsepower needed to run those screens even sub 60FPS is around the 980/390 range.
You can always turn down the detail but at some point it starts being more of an annoyance than luxury.

Wow, didn't realise these were becoming a little more affordable now.

Back