• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help - Upgrade - SSD/Gcard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Hey guys,

i have not built a rig since my 2500+ barton. I built that amd beauty back in highschool, then university/grad school has had me bopping around from macbook to macbook.
Decided to fish through our computer graveyard (since I am very broke and only half way through my phd).
over the last year and a half i have put together this rig.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz 42 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DG33BU (J1PR) 43 °C
Graphics
L206W (1680x1050@60Hz)
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1360x768@60Hz)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (ASUStek Computer Inc)

I got a 2TB harddrive from a friend.

My question is this. I have a little spare gift card i won at a dept party! yay!
I was thinking of getting a ssd (120gb) and a new graphics card http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e=as2&tag=blazlist-20&linkId=FWUMYSU4CKMOEISS

Its a bit past what I wanted to spend but would this help bring my gaming rig to a level I could game with some friends.
My ps3 blueray player died last year, and i have no played video games with my buddies for over 7 years as my gradschool and university was just to demanding.
They play League of Legends, path exile (i think its called), and a few FPS that i cannot remember. it is so sad, but i would love to get back into gaming.

Is there any hope here? Is it worth upgrading the gcard?!

thanks guys.

750Ti is about the bottom of what I would consider a decent 1080p gaming card... It smokes the 8600GTS though! :)

its all i seem to have cash for.
When you say 1080p gaming - what exactly does this mean now days. I have a 720p LCDtv i could output too or just my regular monitor that is about 10 years old now haha.

do you think it is worth the upgrade then. Would games look any good?

One file question:
How do i know if it can fit in my motherboard lol. I have no idea what pci express is. Maybe I can find a mobo manual pdf - how do i know if the card is compatible though?

Last edited:
1080p = 1920x1080. Games look fine. My suggestion is to check out some reviews (I think we reviewed one on the front page - you can search) and see how it performs in some games you want. :)

Back