• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New guy, new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doubleone44

Hello everyone!
I'm a 15 year old boy from the Netherlands, and I finished my first pc build last sunday with my self-earned money. After "gaming" (or more so, trying to) on a laptop for way too many years, I decided it was time for a somewhat better computer. And so it unfolded: After 3 months of extensive research (I tend to get obsessive about some things), I now know almost everything there is to know about different kind of CPUs, GPUs, and all the other stuff. So this is the result:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (Windowed version)
CPU: Intel i5-6600K
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme4 Z170
CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow rock 2
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
RAM: Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2400
SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512GB

For the display I have a Dell U2412H, which my dad had spare (Thanks dad!). In total this build set me back about $1200, before taxes. It's well worth it though because I now get 60 fps with everything on ultra, and 55C on both CPU and GPU full load!

The reason I decided to join this forum is for the overclocking part: I know how I do it, but I need some advice on how far to push. I'm currently running my 6600K @ 4.5 GHz stable with 1.32V. Is this good or not? Should I push further?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Double

Welcome to the forums!

I would go by what your temperatures are under load. Can you report back what your cpu cores are reporting with hwmonitor with prime95 or intel burn test running?

I need some advice on how far to push. I'm currently running my 6600K @ 4.5 GHz stable with 1.32V. Is this good or not? Should I push further?
You have up to 90C on the CPU and 1.4V or so. Be sure you properly stress test to make sure you are stable and to see 'real' maximum temperatures (though in gaming, you will never reach those temps). I suggest something like AIDA64 to stress test.

Back