• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to stop CPU based on temerature in Ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

In Windows you can stop a CPU based on its temperature by using the Windows shutdown command and speedfan to monitor the temperature.

Is there any way to do the same thing in Ubuntu 12.04? eg: the CPU temperature hits 70c, and the CPU receives a command to shut down NOW.

Can you define CPU? It seems that you are actually meaning the Operating System should shutdown not the specific CPU (central processing unit). I am not aware of either OS being able to shut off an entire socket in a multi-cpu environment based on temps.

If you are looking to shutdown the computer I came across this and read over his script. Its good. Throw that in a root cron and run it every 5 minutes or so and it should be good.

Don't know if there is a UI out there that does the same thing or not

Honestly though I usually set the thresholds in the BIOS and don't rely on the OS at all

Back