• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I have a single empty pci-e 3.0 slot available on my board. My cpu is the fm2+ 7850 kaveri with the integrated R7 graphics running the latest stable Crimson video drivers from 12/16 (nice update btw!). I boot from the msata 840 evo in my sig and run an Asrock 4GB xram disc to save on ssd wear. I don't game but do occasionally rip dvd's to mp4/mkv formats. I'm thinking of getting a video card to either compliment my current setup and/or help with video conversion/playback. My question is, should I get an R7 to match the cpu's setup, or should I go for an R9? I don't want a monster card just looking to see if any improvements can be had by installing one. And if I do, I would guess running both displays to the card would help with cpu resources. Also, would installing one and running both displays to card slow down the msata drive any?
Any help appreciated. My setup is my sig.

I don't think it will help you in any way other than freeing up system ram used by the Igpu.

Nowadays a IGPU is able to handle video vary well and a discreet card is for gaming or CUDA, DirectCompute, OpenCL.

Unless your encoding software can utilize the GPU then the move to a dedicated card won't help you one bit.

Back