• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undersized power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_Box

Corsair RM750
Gigabyte UD-3 motherboard
intel 5820k
Powercolor 390
2 x 8gb G.Skill memory
3 x 140mm fans
3 x 120mm fans
XSPC D5 Photon
Everything at stock settings

Power supply powers up fine in all conditions except when 390 vid card is installed in motherboard. Power supply makes a click type sound followed by a 'shifting' sound. One fan starts to spin but only for a split second. Is the vid card bad or is the PS undersized? eXtreme power supply calculator indicates I only need ~530w.

i'm not sure what other tests to run to determine which it is. Maybe a 260 video card? It doesn't use near as much power but maybe the vid card slot is bad as well so I could test it with other card.

750 W is plenty of power for your setup. In most cases when a system will not power on when the Gpu is installed and you have enough power, which you do, the graphics card is bad.

but first, try unplugging evey thing and plugging it all back in, once in a while I knock one loose with my ham fisted hands.

You definitely have plenty of PSU.
Do you have another GPU to test with?

I would reseat things as Caddi said... also, try another PCIe slot and see if it is the slot that went bad.

Update:

I put my R260 into the computer and everything works fine. I RMA'd the 390. I should get the replacement in about a week. I'll update again once it is installed.

Thanks for all the help!!

awesome!!!! I am sorry you had an issue, but you seem to be on the right track.

Back