• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to CPU that has faster FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trivius

My CPU recently gave up on me, so I am in need of a new one, I was thinking of trying a Q9650 that runs cooler at 3GHz or a QX6550 to replace my QX6800 in a Dell E520. I have read that you can't use a CPU of the same socket that has faster FSB, though have also read that you can, just that the MOBO will revert to its max speed, in this case 1066, rather than the 1366 available by the CPU. I am hoping for clarification on this issue, if anybody has actual experience relevant to such an upgrade?

Board supports up to 1066.
If you put a 1333 CPU in it, 99.9% chance it won't post.
Being an OEM board, I'd bet on it.

Can't depend on Dell, according to them the 6800 series does not work, and clearly that is not the case; it just requires a BIOS update first.

I was thinking if it will use a slower speed, why not a faster speed, just at its own max speed? As is the way memory and USB devices work. I am curious to just try it and see.

You'll have to.
P965 chipset supports up to 1066. That is not Dell spec, that's Intel spec for that chipset.

Just to followup I tried the Q9650 and it did not work at all, PC would not do anything. So was thinking it might be sort of cool to slowly begin collecting parts to build another cheap PC on a used DDR3 MOBO. Nevertheless, this PC is back up and running as it was.

Back