• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism causes PC longer to POST !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hi, recently bought a new pair of Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism gaming headset. It uses a USB soundcard to connect to my PC to produces the Dolby Surround.
As I've notice, whenever I have the headset plugged in. It causes my PC longer time to POST ! When I turn on my PC, everything is running, fans, LED etc. But the hard drive Read light isn't. My screen will be blank.
After least 5 - 10 second, then only I will start seeing the BIOS screen.

This is not normal, as before as soon as I push my PC ON button, it's POST almost instantly, about 1 second or less and Im able to see the BIOS screen already.
Even though now It takes longer time to POST, the boot up is still at normal speed though no issue.

At first I thought it was my Belkin USB HUB causing this, but it isn't I've tried connecting directly to my Mobo's rear I/O USB instead and it's the same.
Is this normal actually ?? Is there a setting or something I need to tweak to fix it ?
This is the first time I've seen a PC took so long to POST honestly, it's always been like instant from what I've seen and experienced.

If the computer boots fine I wouldn't worry about it.
If you start to have issues other than a slight delay at startup, then you should look at it.

If the computer boots fine I wouldn't worry about it.
If you start to have issues other than a slight delay at startup, then you should look at it.

I see, because as I said, this is the first time I've seen such a POST which is so delayed.
It had me worrying, but any idea what's the cause ? During the POST or basically the very beginning phase, what is the PC actually doing??
What I've read is, it sort of like runs a diagnose test of everything before starting up ??

Probably just a small issue with USB headsets on your motherboard then, Z77 was pretty early in UEFI so that's my assumption.

I see, well Tks for your help. Really appreciate it.
One more thing, is there like a Boot Order for USB?
Because I look into mine I can't find it, really strange as I recall I seeing there was such a thing.
Like example, if you're going to install Windows via USB you gonna need to use a USB as a boot order right?

Mine is an ASUS board, Z77 like you said, P87Z77-M

You can either set the USB drive in the boot order or you can manually boot from the device as a one-time option.

You can either set the USB drive in the boot order or you can manually boot from the device as a one-time option.

I can find the One Time Boot for USB, but not in Boot Order, really strange.
I will do bit more digging on this, Tks.

One more thing, it's out of topic, you know for ASUS Boards when you turn on, it shows everything the spec, RAM, CPU, USB Devices etc.
Can I set that part to last longer? Cause it's rather quick....there is an option for " POST Report " is that it ??

Hmm just want to update, if I have just ONLY the soundcard itself plugged in, it will NOT cause the PC longer time before to POST.
But if I have the headset plugged into the soundcard as well, then it WILL cause the PC longer time before to POST.

I did updated to the latest Firmware as well, I think somehow could be the headset is what's causing the delay.
Though no big deal like you said, it still startup like normal. Hope maybe there be a Firmware or Update or whatever in future to solve it.
But I doubt it, the Headset been released 1 Year ago now they even came up with a refresh version I think, called Siberia 650...

I'm not familiar with your exact mobo , but my Asus board allows me to set how long the POST screen is up , (splash or BIOS) and also has the option of delaying the USB until the OS boots. My previous Asus mobo would hang on the POST screen if I left a flash drive in a USB port , even a blank one , or almost anything else. I just blamed the drivers for the AMD chipset. I always blame the AMD drivers. LOL Your issue makes me wonder if it was an Asus issue , instead.

But mine isn't stuck at POST lol, normally when the moment I press the POWER BUTTON, within 1 second or so 2 second max, I would be seeing POST report already lol, you know the part where it shows how many USB is connected, CPU Specs, RAM etc.
But now with the headset, after pressing POWER BUTTON, least 5 second maybe not 10 second, but it's abnormally long. Before it reaches the POST screen. Also my Logitech keyboard won't light up as well, not till when it reaches the POST screen.

I recall I did experience the same thing back then, with something else, I think it's a USB device as well, I can't remember what was it. I guess this isn't the first time for me.
Well as long nothing starts going up in smoke and into flame I guess it's nothing to worry about. :p

I still have one of those headsets, if I get some time I'll try it out. Are you plugging directly into the motherboard or a front panel/case connection?

I still have one of those headsets, if I get some time I'll try it out. Are you plugging directly into the motherboard or a front panel/case connection?

Any it's the same whether via USB Hub or rear Mobo or front panel it will happen. As long it's plugged in via a USB connection, this headset works with 3.5mm as well but I won't get the Dolby surround and lighting.

Back