• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo Y700 Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys thinking of picking this up at Bestbuy store at my town for my wife. I am looking for something with some performance, storage, touch screen, great sound etc.. .It seems this laptop has those and was curious if is worth buying it or not. Thanks!

I guess the question to be asked here is:

1. Link to the model you are referring. They range from about 1k - 1.4k in price and the options vary.

2. What are you using it for. Some options like 16 GB of ram might be overkill, and you could surely find a better deal yourself for the upgrade.

3. No to the Hybrid drive. Get a SSD.

If you are not actually planning on gaming with this.... and its for your wife.... who actually might be carrying it. I would look at some Ultrabook options. While they are not beast desktop replacements, for portability and battery life they will slaughter that Notebook. To be honest, I would be looking at a DELL XPS 15 if it were for my wife.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

She does not need a HOG of a computer like that Lenovo you are looking at. The DELL XPS series is a beautiful device which rivals macbooks (better IMHO). Really, you need to set her down side by side with the above referenced LENOVO, a Dell XPS 15 and a DELL XPS 13. I bet she picks the XPS 13.

Thats my 2 cents.

Edit: I am not saying HOG as in a huge machine, only that it is really overkill for a laptop for general use. If it is a desktop replacement and will be kept on the desktop then its a good choice.

Below are the units I been looking into. She wants to game like World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2. She want to do photography and video editing with the machine. She dosen't want a 17 inch display, she want to use a touch screen sometimes. Also she is not a fan or red back list keyboards or saturated colors. White or light blue etc.. She is fine with. I am replacing her desktop with a laptop which is why I notice the lenovo y50 series. Seems to have everything except a faster drive or none red back lid keyboard. At. Lease she can turn it off on the lenovo.

1. $929.99 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lack/9640008.p?id=1219705742633&skuId=9640008

or

2. $1149.99 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lack/4474900.p?id=1219751154856&skuId=4474900

Ok, So for light gaming (what I consider WoW and GW) any dual core and onboard graphics would work.

For photo editing and video editing, you are going to want something with more power both CPU and GPU.

Touch screens are meh. Who wants to look at a smudged up screen, trust me, after she uses it for a couple of days she will get tired of the touch screen, but to each their own.

Since this is primarily a desktop replacment, this wouldn't be that bad. I would only recommend upgrading that drive to a SSD.

Lenovo typically has nice displays as well.

Only thing I would say is to have a look at the Dell XPS series in person before you make your purchase. A XPS 15 would do what you want it to do, but would leave you with something that she could actually carry and would get 8 hours of Screen on Time on the battery.

Otherwise that Y50 would work.

Ok, So for light gaming (what I consider WoW and GW) any dual core and onboard graphics would work.

For photo editing and video editing, you are going to want something with more power both CPU and GPU.

Touch screens are meh. Who wants to look at a smudged up screen, trust me, after she uses it for a couple of days she will get tired of the touch screen, but to each their own.

Since this is primarily a desktop replacment, this wouldn't be that bad. I would only recommend upgrading that drive to a SSD.

Lenovo typically has nice displays as well.

Only thing I would say is to have a look at the Dell XPS series in person before you make your purchase. A XPS 15 would do what you want it to do, but would leave you with something that she could actually carry and would get 8 hours of Screen on Time on the battery.

Otherwise that Y50 would work.

Hey Brutal, thanks man! I ended up just getting the Y700 from them and I am pretty happy with the purchase. Is one of the only units for the price range that will bring everything my wife was wanting on a laptop so as long she is happy. I am very happy. =) I did notice the Y700 is a bit faster than the Y50 and feels like a pretty good system for sure.

Your welcome. I think these days, laptops have started to peak in CPU performance. SSDs have become the norm now that you can buy a 500GB SSD for $150 when they go on sale. 4-8GB is the standard in most laptops.

This leaves the options which separate most laptop buyers.

1. Battery - The U - CPUs have great battery life. Depending on if its paired with a Touch Screen, or 4k display or back-lit keyboard, this battery life will vary.

2. Portability - With ultrabooks weighing 3 lbs. or less, it figures that when picking out a laptop, "how portable does it need to be?". With the Lenovo starting at 5.7 lbs you are looking at a 6-7 lbs. carrying weight real fast. When you compare with my Dell XPS 13 at 2.4 lbs. You start to see the difference in portability. Its more like carrying an iPad then a Laptop, but it has full laptop functionality. I do give up a dedicated GPU for that weight, but thats about it.

3. Dedicated GPU - To me this goes hand in hand with a Laptop that serves primarily as a desktop replacement. As a matter of fact, if you look at some of the design trends with the newer Surface Book type machines, you will see that they basically have detachable screens with the real CPU/GPU/Battery guts remaining on the table and a "light" version of the processor in the screen. Its kind of like having a laptop with a dock that has a monster video card, extra ram and a second processor.

I am glad you are happy with your decision and it seems like you did a lot of research. I had even debated responding to the thread because not knowing the person, it would be hard to steer you in the right direction. I know my wife, and I know how she uses a PC/laptop/netbook/tablet/phone, so I know what kind of laptop she would benefit from.

Your welcome. I think these days, laptops have started to peak in CPU performance. SSDs have become the norm now that you can buy a 500GB SSD for $150 when they go on sale. 4-8GB is the standard in most laptops.

This leaves the options which separate most laptop buyers.

1. Battery - The U - CPUs have great battery life. Depending on if its paired with a Touch Screen, or 4k display or back-lit keyboard, this battery life will vary.

2. Portability - With ultrabooks weighing 3 lbs. or less, it figures that when picking out a laptop, "how portable does it need to be?". With the Lenovo starting at 5.7 lbs you are looking at a 6-7 lbs. carrying weight real fast. When you compare with my Dell XPS 13 at 2.4 lbs. You start to see the difference in portability. Its more like carrying an iPad then a Laptop, but it has full laptop functionality. I do give up a dedicated GPU for that weight, but thats about it.

3. Dedicated GPU - To me this goes hand in hand with a Laptop that serves primarily as a desktop replacement. As a matter of fact, if you look at some of the design trends with the newer Surface Book type machines, you will see that they basically have detachable screens with the real CPU/GPU/Battery guts remaining on the table and a "light" version of the processor in the screen. Its kind of like having a laptop with a dock that has a monster video card, extra ram and a second processor.

I am glad you are happy with your decision and it seems like you did a lot of research. I had even debated responding to the thread because not knowing the person, it would be hard to steer you in the right direction. I know my wife, and I know how she uses a PC/laptop/netbook/tablet/phone, so I know what kind of laptop she would benefit from.

Is all good my friend I only have one final question to you and I do appreciate all your help. It for sure made my decision a bit easier as I don't really specialize on laptops. Anyways my question to you now is should I buy insurance from a place called SquareTrade for this laptop to cover it for 3 years? I didn't pick insurance from Best Buy because I just never did like their prices and what it had to offer. Note my decision is all on me but I guess is it worth it?

To answer your question, I am not normally an "insurance" kind of guy when it comes to electronics. I do purchase insurance for my phone, but only because it is carried everywhere with me. Typically I find things like Laptops to be no longer worth repairing after 3 or 4 years. If it breaks in the first year its covered by a factory warranty. So unless the insurance is under 50, I would just pass, but that is me personally. If your spending 1000 dollars on it, then it may be a worthwhile investment for you.

Thanks Brutal for the input. I may consider doing a 2 years if is going to break it will happen way before then. :)

Honestly speaking as both a gamer and a laptop user anyone who is looking at purchasing one would be foolish to do so unless it has a Thunderbolt 3 connector as there ought to be a number of eGPU players next year

Back